Smallmouth WF's

Jeremi

Jeremi

Looking for a WF floater for a 6wt Sage XP. Just wanted other opionins. Right now i just use a Rio Gold 6wt. Seems to do ok. Though, I will say that when I HAVE to roll cast a #2 clouser it is FAAARR from a pretty turn over. Maybe a leader issuse. I always use straight 8-10lb. flouro for subsurface.

Dear Jeremi,

Any old WF line will work, you don't need the "special" bass taper lines unless you want one. If you want a "bass" taper Cortland 333 has one and they are about $ 26.00 at Hook and Hackle or any place you can find them.

If you are just using several feet pf level 8 or 10# test for a leader you definitely have a leader issue. You need to have a taper to your leader, and the butt section needs to be a heavier diameter to get the energy from the line to transfer all the way to the fly.

Get a couple of spools of Maxima Chameleon in 20, 15, and 12 pound test and tie a tapered leader with 30-36 inches of 20, 18 inches of 15 and a foot of 12 pound test. Add your flouro as tippet and your leaders will turn over much better.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Jeremi wrote:
Looking for a WF floater for a 6wt Sage XP. Just wanted other opionins. Right now i just use a Rio Gold 6wt. Seems to do ok. Though, I will say that when I HAVE to roll cast a #2 clouser it is FAAARR from a pretty turn over. Maybe a leader issuse. I always use straight 8-10lb. flouro for subsurface.

Has little to do with the leader, everything to do with the wrong line.

Roll casting WF lines sucks because you're using running line to try and turn over front taper.

Either keep the whole shebang to under the front taper and belly length, switch to a dual taper line, or properly cast.

gfen wrote:
Jeremi wrote:

Has little to do with the leader, everything to do with the wrong line.

Roll casting WF lines sucks because you're using running line to try and turn over front taper.

Either keep the whole shebang to under the front taper and belly length, switch to a dual taper line, or properly cast.

Dear gfen,

Stop believing the old wife's tail that WF lines don't roll cast as well as DT's. It's a total line of BS.

The first 25 to 30 feet of line on most modern fly lines is virtually identical regardless of whether it is WF or DT and the guy needs a tapered leader more than he needs a DT line to roll cast a size 2 weighted fly.

It's simple physics!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

TimMurphy wrote:
gfen wrote:

The first 25 to 30 feet of line on most modern fly lines is virtually identical regardless of whether it is WF or DT and the guy needs a tapered leader more than he needs a DT line to roll cast a size 2 weighted fly.

Agreed, please review relevant qouted source, specifically boldfaced portion.

That said, OP, WF lines are designed to false cast the head then shoot the running line out. Choosing the proper line, or fishing to the proper line choice you've made, can only help you. Trying to make something do what it wasn't designed for (ie, roll casting 40' of WF line, which involves running line-to-belly turnover) is just a good way to get frustrated.

The average WF line has a front taper & belly 38' long. Add the length of the rod and leader and you're talking a 55' +/- roll cast before the running line comes into play. That's WAY longer than any roll cast the average or even above average caster would attempt. IMO, WF is more versatile than DT because of the running line for shooting longer casts. YMMV.

Attachments

• fly line taper diag.jpg
    fly line taper diag.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 4
>>Trying to make something do what it wasn't designed for (ie, roll casting 40' of WF line, which involves running line-to-belly turnover) is just a good way to get frustrated.>>

I tend to think that trying to roll cast 40 feet of fly line, especially when there is probably a weighted bass fly on the end of it is an exercise in frustration (as well as an act of superfluous pointlessness) with or without the "right line".

Other than that, I agree with Mr. Murphy in regards to line design and I guess I'd add that the portions of either a WF or DT line that anybody has any business trying to roll cast in the first place are pretty much identical in design terms. Unless your not actually trying to catch fish, of course..:)

YMMV. Most everybody's does..

Back