Small stream rod

F

Flydog

What is your perfered rod length and wt. for fishing small streams. Other then limited casting areas (trees), is there advantages using a shorter ron on small streams?

Flydog,

I use a 7' St. Croix Avid 3wt.
JH

Flydog,

I got a 6 1/2 foot 2 weight Cabelas Traditional for Christmas. So far I'm quite pleased with it on small brookie streams.

Albatross

How small, as in streams is small?

I usually go with the longest rod I can get away IF there is casting room because the longer length is an advantage for line control on the water; especially with all of the fast little pockets found on smaller streams that screw up a good drift FAST.

For example while I don't consider Slate Run a small stream; many do. I fish an 8'6" rod there a LOT because it is very open where I fish.

When you get into the trees or rhododendron issue than of course everything changes. While a longer rod still is better IMHO; it is also a MAJOR pain in the butt. It isn't just casting, it's also trying to move around whacking low branches around every bend. Try a bow and arrow cast or roll cast with even a 7'0" rod in tight quarters.

On places with moderate to heavy growth I'm usually fishing anything from a 7'0" to a 5'0" rod with a 6'6" rod getting the most use. Even though you can always choke up on a longer rod; it just isn't practical to do it all day.

I think there are two schools of thought (at least)

Some like a rod with a "little" length. 8' or so. The length allows a guy to reach out from a bank and "dap" a dry fly, or to swing a nymph. Casting can be easier, where you have the space. And where you don't specialized casts can help.

Some like the shorter rods. The idea being you can cast in tighter spaces.

As far as weight goes... some folks like to use a regular weight line like a 4 or 5 wt. The idea being you can cast the line better. And some "over line" the rod by a weight. That is, put a 5 wt on a rod rated for a 4 etc. so it will load with less line out.

Others like a very light line, as presentations should be delicate.

I never did a lot of that type of fishing. But I sort of like it. Try to go out when the water in the creek is a little high. The creek may be running hard, but the trout will be less aware of you after a good rain. There will also be more stuff falling into the stream and the trout will be out eating (well, they usually are any way...) At those times, I like a rod that has a decent line. a 5wt or so. And I'll drag out one of my bamboo rods (a 7 1/2 footer) because they load quickly.

If I do fish a small stream during a normal flow, I expect to be skunked. But that's when I go out with a two weight.

Rod length is for me, dependant on the stream. If it's a place I feel like I can cast, I'll bring 7 1/2 or 8' rod. If it's a place that's pretty tight, I'll take a short rod, because I don't do those specialized casts very well. I also walk small streams a good deal. I skip the tightest, toughest pools looking for the open water.

There are some good books on small stream fishing. Let us know if you need some reccomendations.

It all has to do with the stream.
I have fished mountain streams that are 4 feet across, but with no trees nearby, so there a 9' rod is okay. I have also fished streams 12' across, but with my 6'6" rod it is still tight. The 2 wt. is ultra responsive and feels excellent with a 7" brookie on the fly. However, sometime it doesn't have enought tip strength or reach to get the fly exactly where I want it.
My advice, it you want only 1 rod for small streams, a 7 -- 7.5 foot crisp feeling rod.

I have 7'9" loomis 2 wght that I use on medium size streams like spring and fishing creeks. But I also use it on small streams that are more open to casting.
I also have a 6 foot 3 wght, which I use on the small streams that have tight quarters - easier to cast there with it. But I can't cast very far with it.
So, I try to use the longer rod where i can

I use a 6'6" rod that is rated as a 2/3wt.

Dear Flydog,

For years I used a 9 foot 5 weight for small stream fishing because that was all I owned. It never seemed to bother me much, I used it on Cedar Run, Weikert Run, Hayes Creek, Hickory Run, Young Woman's Creek, and White Deer Creek above McCall Dam Road.

Then I got a 7'9" 2 weight and a 7'6" 1 weight and started using them more, but they are really just dry fly rods. You can fish a nymph with a small split shot or a small streamer, but in higher water they won't handle enough weight to keep the fly down where it needs to be.

I recently picked up an inexpensive 7'6" 4 weight and figure it's just about perfect for small streams. It's a fairly fast action rod and it can handle a size 8 stonefly nymph with a couple of shot or a size 4 wooly bugger as well as any dry fly I care to cast including large indicator dries and droppers.

I only own one rod shorter than 7'6", a 6'9" bamboo 3 weight that I rarely use because it's too short for my tastes. Personally, I think a 7'6" rod in 4 or 5 weight is ideal for small streams.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I like very short fly rods. Most of my fishing on small limestoners is done with a 5'6" 4WT and I like a 5' for small brookie streams.

I’m probably the worst to get small rod advice from because I simply love short rods from 4’ to 7’ in line weights from 2 to 6. One of my favorites is a 6’3” 4 weight. While you can use a longer rod with a bow and arrow, roll, flip, dab and whatever cast you call it, with the short rod (one that can cast a leader) you can cast. Don’t get me wrong you still may have to rely on some of the other casts just not as much. Now reach is a different story. Bamboo is for me the only choice in short rods, fiberglass is okay. Plastic rods just don’t do it for me and my fishing style, now you don’t want to bring a knife to a gun fight either, so plastic does have it’s place (casting contests and a windy surf). If I only had one short rod I would pick a 5’10” 5 weight to fish 90 percent of the small streams that I fish.

Joe E

To tell you the truth i would go with a Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3Wt. it comes with every thing you need to start, line reel, etc....the line is pretty good it lasted me over a year and i never cleaned it.....you can't go wrong with this set up especially if you are just gettin into the small stream fishing....good luck with your choice....tweek

I have a 7' 3wt. St. Croix SClll for streams in the 10-15 ft. range. Most of the streams like this I fish are pretty dense with overhang, etc, so the shorter rod is a bit more manuverable. The SClllis a good blank for this because it roll casts nicely, especially as I overline it. A stream 15-25' I'd probably use my 8' 5wt and any wider my 9'4 wt.
Coughlin

coughlin,
yeah that is the exact rod that i am thinking about picking up for some small stream fishing and for when the water runs low, great price for the setup
chris

i mean tweek. that is who i meant to reply too, my applogies.
chris

I have a 3 wt. 7' diamondglass that is great for light fishign and tight spaces. the fiberglass really is great for a delicate presentation and the slow action lets you load a heavier rig if you use a tension cast. The scott fibertouch is also reportedly excellent for this, but a bit more expensive. Fiberglass really is so delicate.

for the small tight brush lined streams i have a 6 6" gl loomis 3 wt bigger streams i use a st croix legend 4 wt

I have a 3 wt. 7' diamondglass that is great for light fishign and tight spaces. the fiberglass really is great for a delicate presentation and the slow action lets you load a heavier rig if you use a tension cast.

This is my choice too. Can'r go wrong with any 7 to 7 1/2 ft rod 3 to 5 weight. Make sure it loads at short distances.

For VERY tight streams where normal casting is not an option and getting the rod through the brush is the overriding factor, I use a 6' 4/5 weight I built out of a tiger eye blank.

Thanks for all the feedback! I have a follow up question. From what I have understood most small stream rods are slower action rods. I like a faster action rod. If my assumptions are correct that smaller rods are slower action...and I want a faster action. Then would / could I one line up the rod to give me fast action? Example; 2wt rod with a 3wt.line? At the same time if I one line down give me a slower action? Example; 2wt rod with a 1wt line.

Flydog wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback! I have a follow up question. From what I have understood most small stream rods are slower action rods. I like a faster action rod. If my assumptions are correct that smaller rods are slower action...and I want a faster action. Then would / could I one line up the rod to give me fast action? Example; 2wt rod with a 3wt.line? At the same time if I one line down give me a slower action? Example; 2wt rod with a 1wt line.

I think you have it backward. If it flexes closer to the tip its considered fast. If it flexes closer to the butt. Regardless, I don't think small rods tend to be any slower or faster than bigger rods. It can be whatever you want it to be. Just buy the rod with teh action you want...I have two 7ft 3/4 wt rods...one is extremely fast and the has a moderate to slow action. I like them both.

Heres another good way to decide what kind of rod you want...

http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?subject=100

Back