Simms Wet Wading Guard Socks(Waterproof?)

streamerguy

streamerguy

I recently got these as a gift and decided to give them a try today. No, I wasn't wet wading haha but I wore them with my waders because my waders had leaks in the feet. So after wading for a little while I felt water. Not as much as without the neoprene socks underneath, but still some water was getting through. I wasn't wading deep either and for long periods of time, so it's not like my waders filled up and the entire sock was wet, just the foot portions of the socks.

When I got home I filled up the socks with water, and sure enough water would slowly seep through the seams. I know they are for wet wading(which is what I plan on using them for) but aren't they still supposed to be waterproof?

I guess if I just fix the leaks in my waders everything would be all fine and dandy, but I would still think the neoprene socks would be a temporary fix.

They are not waterproof. I thought the same thing last year. I only use mine for wet wading and they are perfect for that.

Thanks, just what I wanted to know. Couldn't really find much on the internet about them.

Now for wet wading, do you wear any other socks with them? If so what kind?

I do not wear any other socks with them. I usually wear a pair of muck shoes without socks while driving, and when I reach my destination I slip them off and put the neoprene wading socks on. My wading boots are much more comfortable when I just have my wading socks on and not my waders. The thickness of my wading socks are thinner than my stocking foot booties.

The socks are not supposed to be waterproof. They act like a wet suit. The socks fill with water, the water warms to body temp and keeps your feet comfortable while in cooler water. I don't wear any other socks with the neoprene socks when wet wading. Like Mattwolf, I wear flip flops in the car and change before hiking to the stream. I find the neoprene socks and wading boots are the best foot wear for wet wading.

Back