Sierra Trading Post

L

LBCaddis

Over the years I have been a pretty regular customer of Sierra Trading post. They get a nice selection of fly fishing items including top brands like Simms and Patagonia. Up until recently I was always receiving emails almost every day offering an extra 20 - 25% off. Now nothing for the past three weeks except their updates and barnburner specials. Just curious if others have stopped receiving them as well ??

At the end of the calendar year many retailers try to push hard to reduce inventory at year end because that reduces their taxes.

Also, the flyfishing retail season really begins in January. There are shows, people are starting to gear up for the coming season.

It doesn't make sense for them to discount hard at this time of year.

I too buy from STP regularly and I get emails from them just about daily. They currently have a 25% off any purchase and $.99 shipping on $50 that ends today.

Anytime I'm purchasing online, before I buy, I do a google search for the store name and online coupon codes. You can usually find some discounts that apply towards your purchase that way. The codes don't always work, but it seems like 75% of the time I am able to save a couple bucks by doing the search.

STP was bought by TJ Maxx at the end of 2012. At first, there was no discernible change in the items that STP sold and the discounts they offered. But, by the start of last year, the coupons started to die off. It was not uncommon to receive 45% off coupons, but now, the best you will probably see is 25% off (but you should get at least one a day if you are signed up). STP has stated that their business model is changing somewhat and they are moving away from the large coupons to a more "everyday low prices" model (how'd that work out for you, JC Penney??).

It would not surprise me to see STP's outdoor product options dwindle and them move more into a clothing and shoe online retailer. A couple of years ago, they had 300+ different flies available. Some were obscure patterns that probably no one fishes all that much, but some were standards. Today, the number of flies they are selling is zero.

salmonoid wrote:
STP has stated that their business model is changing somewhat and they are moving away from the large coupons to a more "everyday low prices" model (how'd that work out for you, JC Penney??).

JC Penny is not even comparable to STP. JCP is dying under the weight of the costs associated with running large flagship stores in shopping malls (a declining retail environment in itself) while struggling to attract customers with poor product selections. The same situation as Sears, Macy's etc.
Many retailers are moving away from continually offering discounts because they've found that it cheapens their brand leading to an even worse long-term situation. The trend now is to focus on product selection and brand building, making the product sold desirable at profitable prices.

I get coupons from time to to, but not nearly as much as I did before CHristmas. Ive found if you log in, add something to your cart, then let it sit, they usually email you offers to entice you to finish your purchase. Free shipping or 10% off or something...

Most online retailers do this Ive come to find as well.

I have a friend that works for sierra training post , and yes they are changing the way they do buisness as far as the coupons go , and I agree it seems they are getting away from the fly fishing equipment.

same here, I'm a long time customer and have purchased a lot of fishing items in the past from them...their deal coupons and such have really slowed to a crawl over the past year...prices for repeat purchase items don't now even come close to the offers they put out in the past... very disappointed...

I’ve noticed the same. For some items, their prices are still very good, the best around you can find, but without the ridiculous daily deal flyer coupons I’m less apt to just hop on their site and browse unless I actually need something. In which case, I’m looking for something specific and researching and shopping competitors too.

In years past I’ve been guilty, especially over the Winter cabin fever time, of just browsing their site on a Friday evening and ending up spending $100 or so at a time on stuff that were good deals, but I didn’t necessarily NEED at the time. The lack of the bigger coupons has at least nipped that in the bud for me. And I think that’s the type of business they’ll lose with this model. I’ll still shop them, and buy from them if they have the best price on a specific item I need, but I won’t just buy stuff because it’s on such a good deal. I’m sure they have research under which model they’ll make more profit, and for now it’s shifting away from the bigger coupons…advertise a consistently low price (but not ridiculously low via extra “secret” coupons) and hope to make a little more per purchase, and keep the sales volume up via the consistent publicly advertised prices.

So far in Winter 2016/2017 I’ve managed to only place one order with them and most of it was Christmas gifts for others. I threw on a pair of Terramar socks for me to hit the free shipping figure…they still got me on that.

90% of my outdoor gear has been from STP. At one point they kept a tally of the $$ you saved over retail on the purchases you made over the years. I know I was in the several thousands . . .

I miss the 35% off and free shipping. TJMaxx bring it back!!

Back