Should I get a 4 wt rod after years of 5wt usage??

tulenkot

tulenkot

So I am in the market for a new rod. I'm thinking orvis power matrix 4wt mid flex 8'6". My dilemna is that I have always used 5 wts. A 5 wt just feels a little overboard for my usual fishing spots. I frequent the valley, little lehigh, and when im up for a drive, slate run. Im also not afraid of lets say pine creek, the loyalsock or even the lehigh every now and then. Will a 4wt be able to cut it on the larger waters or should I just get another 5 wt. Also, will the 4 be ok for nymphing and occasional streamers? I am stressing big time over the choice. What should I do??

Why not go with a 2 or 3 weight. It would seem like that would give you more versatility. I'm not sure you are really going to see a whole lot of difference between a 4 and 5 wt.

Just a thought,

Are you replacing or augmenting your 5wt?

If more or less looking to replace it, a 4wt is a better choice for the bulk of trouting in PA.

If you're looking to augment it and expand your range, a 3wt would be better.

For trout fishing, I find my 4wt to be more pleasurable than either my 5 or my 3. The 5, as you said, feels overboard for everything but streamers, and the 3 really limits the the amount of weight you can toss, if weighted nymphs or big bushy hoppers and heavy droppers are your thing.

To some degree, it might depend on how long you've fished the same 5WT. In the last decade or so rods have gotten significantly faster and longer, esp the higher end rods. I still fish frequently with a 25 year old 5/6 WT and it's a clunker compared to many of the 4WTs out nowadays. Back then, 4 WTs were almost novelty rods for tiny trout streams and folks used 5/6 WTs for most trouting. Things have changed and 4WTs have become much more mainstream (pun intended).

Cast some of the new 4WTs and see how you feel about them. Try some of the new 5WTs too.

To answer your questions, I am looking to upgrade. I started with el-cheapos and currently own a higher priced el-cheapo (cortland graphite 8.5 ft, 5/6 wt- rod & reel $120). It has served me well and I can certainly catch fish, but I feel like I am ready for the big leagues. I guess I can use my old one for larger waters as a back up rod, but Im really looking for a daily driver, go to type of rod. My main concern is that I will be shelling out alot of money and do not want to have a rod that limits what I can do with it. This is why I hope the 4 wt is a good compromise. Also, not to open up a can of worms but, what do you think about med vs. fast action? Thanks for all the help...

Get the 4wt that appeals to you, then, and keep the 5 as a backup.

You don't have to spend alot to get a good rod. Shop around, try everything you come in contact with and don't think you have to spend $500+ to get a good rod.

Action is whatever appeals to you. Again, you've got some time before spring rolls bck around and fishing heats back up, take your time to pick what appeals to you and cast whatever shops carry and your friends own.

gfen wrote:
before spring rolls bck around and fishing heats back up

Spoken like a true dry fly enthusiast... For some of us fall is when things really heat up!

Look, I caught multiple fish on a wet fly today, alright? That counts.

Besides, he's got a rod. He's got time to make a choice.

Agreed. Just having fun.

Yes - by all means...take your time and cast as many rods you can until you fall in love with one. When that happens, you will know.... :)

A 4wt is a great tool for medium to smaller streams in PA which comprise the vast majority of streams. A 5wt is just right for larger streams and/or fishing heavier and bulky flies. I do most of my fishing with a 4 & 5 weight. I suggest you find a 4wt that casts well for you, and as other suggested use the 5wt for bigger waters and/or bigger heavier flies. Good Luck.

I like 5wts for an all around rod, however you can always use a 4wt. Some like the odd and some like the even wts in different lenghts.

joe e

Back