SealSkinz submerge socks?

grouse11

grouse11

I am looking to find an outfit to do some wet wading this summer and have been looking at the SealSkinz submerge socks. they are calf high socks and claim to be waterproof. I was thinking about getting them and a lightweight pair of hiking boots to navigate mostly small mountain streams. I was thinking about getting a cheap pair of hip waders but do most of my fishing off of my dual sport motorcycle and worry about burning a hole in them if they are not tight to my legs. If anybody has had any experience with these socks, I would like to know how they worked for you.

Dear grouse,

I've worn waterproof socks plenty of times but not the SeakSkinz brand. They have worked OK for a while but eventually they leak, especially if they are constantly in the water or wet.

Grit, gravel, sand, sticks, etc have a way of working their way in and around your foot and they tend to wear out whatever you are wearing over time.

To the rest of your question keep in mind that I'm just asking, but why would you want to subject even a cheap pair of hiking boots to being constantly wet?

I'd recommend that you get a pair of cheap sneakers at Wal-Mart and just flat out wet wade. This time of year even a cold trout stream is easily 55 degrees, and with air temperatures in the 70's or 80's you'll find the cool water refreshing.

Just watch out for poison ivy!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Only bad thing about cheap shoe wet wading in summer is the ankle support. I always wet wade in summer with an old beater pair of shoes or some Payless specials. The ankle support u get from waders or hiking books is not even close. But if Ur not doing any kind of extreme hiking fishing cheap shoes should be fine.

I bought a pair of sealskin waterproof socks to wear hunting - when my gore tex boots weren't so water proof anymore. And they did keep my feet dry.
But I kinda agree with Tim, in that I doubt they would be very practical for fishing. Even with calf high water proof socks - sooner or later, you'll likley come across a nice hole, even on a small stream - where you'll need to wade deeper than that

Back