Sage VT2?

V

VTPAangler

I've got about $400 in Cabela's gift cards and am thinking about getting a Sage VT2 9' 5 weight (590-4 VT2).

Was hoping that someone or someone's on the forum have fished this rod and could provide some feedback?

Anybody?

VTP,
I have fished with one for about a week last year... a friend gave me his 9' 5 weight for a week and I gave him an older Sage VPS 9' 5wt just to try to compare.

We came to the conclusion that they are virtually the same blank -- medium-fast action, nicely sensitive and accurate.

Very nice rods. I actually was throwing a 4 weight double taper on the VT and liked the feel better than the 5 weight forward line.

Highly recommend the rod IF you like a rod that isn't very fast.

Hope that helped.

Thanks for the feedback greenghost. Very helpful. I've decided to penny up and get a 9 ft 5 wt Z-Axis instead. I've heard nothing but positive feedback on the Z-Axis and I'll never be in a position again to afford to flush $700 on a fly rod.

VTPAangler wrote:
Thanks for the feedback greenghost. Very helpful. I've decided to penny up and get a 9 ft 5 wt Z-Axis instead. I've heard nothing but positive feedback on the Z-Axis and I'll never be in a position again to afford to flush $700 on a fly rod.

VTPA, everyone is different when it comes to fly rods, but if you asked me to pick one fly rod to fish/cast with, it would be a Z-Axis. The price borders on ridiculous, I know. But with a life-time warranty, and the fact that the rod works well for you, it is likely that you will keep and use your rod for many seasons. Amortize the $700 over all those seasons and the price doesn't seem that bad. I have several rods that celebrated their 10th, 15th & even 20th birthdays, and I still love fishing with them. They've become old friends and are like an extension of my arm when I fish.

A lot of guys I know buy rods strictly on price or reputation rather then their satisfaction with them, and it seems they are forever looking to buy another rod. They always show up on the stream with their latest and greatest rod, but never seem to be truly happy with it. They never get to the point where you have a feel for the rod and it's capabilities, and casting comes naturally, almost automatic with their rod. And in the long run, they actually end up spending more money for rods that don't work well for them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the most expensive rod is always the best. What I am saying is that finding the best rod (for you) is the most important thing whatever the price point. Since a rod that casts and fishes well today will also cast and fish well 5 years from now, 10, and so on, and you won't constantly be looking for other "better" rods to replace the one you have.

Good luck with your new rod, and many great days fishing with it.

Although I’m a Winston guy, the Z-Axis really is a nice rod and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one. I’ve actually come close to buying one several times but I really don’t need it.

Here’s something to think about – buy used. I know you don’t get the warranty but if you look around hard enough you probably can pick up a well cared for rod at a reasonable price. You may find a lightly used Z-Axis for $350 and if for some reason it breaks and costs you $250 to get it repaired, you still have a $700 rod for $600. I bought one of my Winston rods used and the only thing was the cork was dirty and the tube a bit scratched. Just check the blank to make sure it is structurally sound.

And a good fishing rod today will still be a good fishing rod 20 years from now and the only thing obsolete about the rod will be the marketing.

GreenWeenie wrote:

Here’s something to think about – buy used. I know you don’t get the warranty but if you look around hard enough you probably can pick up a well cared for rod at a reasonable price.

Good point GW. You may be able to save several hundred dollars:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sage-Z-axis-fly-rod-9-foot-4-piece-5-wt-Factory_W0QQitemZ220535234137QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3358ec9e59

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAGE-model-590-4-Z-Axis-5wt-90-4pc-fly-rod_W0QQitemZ110477660342QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b8fb50b6

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sage-Z-Axis-590-4-Fly-Rod_W0QQitemZ270511185113QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efbb91cd9

Good deals on used equipment to be had here also
http://sportinggentleman.com/usedrodsreels.html

Thanks for the advice and the links fellas. I've always had bargain basement equipment but my fishing over the past three years has picked up from 5-6 days on the stream per year to 35-50 days per year. So, I think it makes sense to invest in a great rod.

I have the VT2 in 9 ft 8 wt and have cast the 9 ft 5 wt several times. I found the 5 wt to be too soft at the tip. It was just too floppy and not nearly clean-casting enough for me. It felt heavier than it should. Recovery wasn't good as I would want. I would be a LOT happier with a Redington CPX. I liked the funky new Cabelas rod with no reel seat spacer.

For that price, I'm not sure what I would recommend from Cabelas besides what I mentioned. St. Croix's best casting rod is the $180 jobbie. It's way better than their top-of-the-line rod. I find TFO rods heavy but several do cast well.

Sorry I don't have better news.
Syl

Back