Sage TLX?

C

CRB

Does any one have any experience with this series of rods?
I'm interested in the lighter end of the series.
Crb

CRB,

No takers on the board for Sage TXLs. I don’t own one, but I’ve cast a few. They are great rods – I’m a Sage fan. One thing I’m not though, is an ultra light fly rod afishinado. Sage makes an 00wt and a 0wt – both less than 2oz for the finished rod. They are sweet rods, easy to cast, and unbelievably light in your hand. IMO, they are medium action by Sage standards. The TXL uses the Sage Generation 5 technology as with the new Z- Axis line. I’m not sure what that actually means, but the rod line shouldn’t disappear too quickly since its uses the latest technology.

As you probably know, these ultra/ultra light rods are a specialty tools for fishing – small flies, light wind, smaller fish. I assume you plan to use it for small stream fishing. It should work great, but I could never bring myself “brush bust” when hiking into the stream with a $500+ rod in my hand. I use a 7 piece travel rod for small stream fishing. It breaks down small enough to fit into my pack for the walk in.

As with any rod, test cast it, and other rod lines before you buy. It would be ideal if you can find the rods you’re interested in, and test cast them side-by-side. I can’t help you with any fly shop suggestions in Erie. The Winston equivalent in that price range would be the LT or WT. I don’t believe that Winston rods go below a 2wt.

I would rate TXL as one of the best ultra light fly rods on the market, but it better be for the $500+ price tag. Both Sage and Winston offer lifetime guarantees; you may need to take them up on that.

Good luck…it looks like spring has sprung…beginning this weekend!

Thanks for your opinion. I've tried the 4 wt and the 2. I would love try lighter before I purchase but few shops even carry this rod series. Even fewer with the lightest rods.

Back