Sage Bolt 590 or Method 590

krayfish2

krayfish2

Anyone have much experience with either of those models?

I've fished a 590 Method. It's faster than my 590 One. It would make a good streamer rod fished with a sinking line.

I have a 490 Bolt. It fishes much better with a 5 weight line. I imagine the 590 is similar.

Oh boy, not what I wanted to hear. I'd read up a lot before buying a method without casting it first. Most reviews / other forums said that the method doesn't like being overlined while the 5 wt shootout says a gpx taper is perfect.

The idea was to have a specific boat rod for windy conditions or to reach fish over 50-60' while still keeping a very tight loop. The rod should get here tomorrow and I've got at least 6 different lines I can try on it. Many have said Rio Gold which is about a 5.1 weight line if you weight the first 30'.

Got a TCX a while back and hated it...not because it didn't cast well but because there was ZERO feel / feedback unless you had 50-60 feet of line out. Both the method and bolt are to produce the same type of performance while having more feel. I've also read comparisons between the One and Method. The method is faster but I believe the one is stiffer. No?

It's been too long since I fished the two side by side for me to give you an honest answer to that question. I think my 590 One is starting to "flex out" a bit. It don't seem as stiff as it once was (...that's what she said). Or I've been fishing my saltwater stuff too much.

BrookieChaser wrote:
It's been too long since I fished the two side by side for me to give you an honest answer to that question. I think my 590 One is starting to "flex out" a bit. It don't seem as stiff as it once was (...that's what she said). Or I've been fishing my saltwater stuff too much.

I'm not sure if you're kidding, but for the record graphite rods don't "flex out" or wear out with use. But rod action and feel can change (in our minds anyway). I have an XP rod that definitely got stiffer when I strung it up after not using it for a while. Plus same for me, when I fish SW or use my 11wt for muskie, my trout rods always seem to lighten up.

The Rio Gold is .3 heavy and would be a great choice for the Method.I would not over line it more than this. Gold also has a long back taper to stabilize your loops (no hinge effect) for distance casting. The method is designed for casting 40 feet plus. Nobody buys a Method to cast 20 feet (use a different rod).

its a great rod!

I fish a Rio Gold on my One rods, however, when I am making mostly long presentations I use SA Mastery Expert Distance (now discontinued and replaced with a similar line) and it is true to weight.

For the in close fish just cast off the tip.

I have been trying to find one in 7wt.

Well, feedback posted had me worried. Since it was a balmy 32 degrees out, did a little test casting since I didn't want to wait until fishing season to actually play around with it. A guy from work showed up to learn how to fly cast which limited my testing time.

I've got a bunch of lines that I wanted to try and will probably do so when it's a little warmer.

AirFlo super dri distance pro which I think is similar to SA expert distance. It's got a long taper, short belly and a long rear taper. I thought it cast fine. Yes, the rod is quick but I was expecting that. IMHO, tip seemed waaaaay softer / more practical than the TCX. Casting in under 40' was not awful for accuracy and was easily done with a flick of the wrist.

Second line I tried was an old textured GPX. Made the shorter cast more pleasurable and the rod could shoot as much line as you could strip out. Didn't bother trying to keep a ton of line it the air since heavy head / running line tapers tend to collapse when you get a lot of it in the air.

I look forward to warmer weather and the chance to keep testing. I think I have a Rio Gold, SA expert distance, SA textured trout taper and AirFlo river and stream.

Nice rod. Just have to get used to the recovery speed, tip stiffness, etc. Once I get it dialed in with a line, pretty sure I'll be loving it.

Side note while helping my buddy. Echo base 590 + Sharkwave GPX wf6f = ridiculous length casts. I overlined him to make it a little easier and he wanted to see if I could cast it far with that rod since he was having problems. Yeah, it went far LoL

I have told and will give it a go. The experiment with the echo base rod had me thinking..... If I can find a double taper 6 with LONG front and rear tapers, I'd like to see how that casts on the Method (out of curiosity). I think the SA textured trout would also work. The taper is very similar to expert distance.

I went through that whole process a few years ago minus the Bolt.
With a Rio Gold Tournament line. (75' head))
Sage One was better for me followed by the TCR, TCX and Method in last place. For a streamers and sink tips, just reverse the order.
Recently, I find myself grabbing my 6wt X (non-fighting butt model)when I hit the the big river.

And for the fly line, I now use the Ballistic Pro Performance series of lines with the 58' head.
At 30', the 5wt line spec is 140gr. Past 30', it handles terrific with great stable loops. I like this better than Rio or SA's distance or comp lines.
FFF friends turned me on to this. My first reaction was "Wow".

dano wrote:
And for the fly line, I now use the Ballistic Pro Performance series of lines with the 58' head.
At 30', the 5wt line spec is 140gr. Past 30', it handles terrific with great stable loops. I like this better than Rio or SA's distance or comp lines.

Thanks for the heads up on the line. I have the SA Mastery Expert Distance line in an 8wt and the head is 75' > way too long for me to aerialize. A 58' head sounds like a good length to manage. The SA line mends well, though. I never really use super distance lines for trout fishing, though since reaching out a really long distance is one thing and fishing out a drag-free cast is quite another.

krayfish2 wrote:
Oh boy, not what I wanted to hear. I'd read up a lot before buying a method without casting it first. Most reviews / other forums said that the method doesn't like being overlined while the 5 wt shootout says a gpx taper is perfect.

The idea was to have a specific boat rod for windy conditions or to reach fish over 50-60' while still keeping a very tight loop. The rod should get here tomorrow and I've got at least 6 different lines I can try on it. Many have said Rio Gold which is about a 5.1 weight line if you weight the first 30'.

Got a TCX a while back and hated it...not because it didn't cast well but because there was ZERO feel / feedback unless you had 50-60 feet of line out. Both the method and bolt are to produce the same type of performance while having more feel. I've also read comparisons between the One and Method. The method is faster but I believe the one is stiffer. No?

I never got the need to really feel your rod load on a forty foot cast if you can do it with the flick of the wrist . I only care about getting my line out to where I want it and you get that done faster by just flicking your wrist .

Yes Frederick.... I'm not making 12 false casts to put out 30' of line. LoL. I know what I'm doing, or at least I know enough to be dangerous

Never heard of that ballistic line but I'm going to check it out

krayfish2 wrote:
Yes Frederick.... I'm not making 12 false casts to put out 30' of line. LoL. I know what I'm doing, or at least I know enough to be dangerous

So how many false casts with the new hotness ? I heard the TCX was the fastest of all time .

I hear that comment all the time though about not felling the rod with fast action rods and I never got the need to feel the rod load if you can get it out there three times faster to each his own .

I was going to post the rap video flick da wrist for more context .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqruUaIGX6Q

Fredrick wrote:
krayfish2 wrote:

So how many false casts with the new hotness ? I heard the TCX was the fastest of all time .

I hear that comment all the time though about not felling the rod with fast action rods and I never got the need to feel the rod load if you can get it out there three times faster to each his own .

I was going to post the rap video flick da wrist for more context .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqruUaIGX6Q

The purpose of a "fast rod" really has nothing to do with how "fast" (in time) you can cast it, it's more about being able to cast a fast aka tip-flex rod with a tight loop which, in theory anyway, travels further, cuts the wind and tends to be more accurate.

I've found there to be an inverse relationship with "fast" and "feel" > the faster a rod action the less "feel" it has, for the most part. If the entire rod loads right to the heavy butt section, than you can easily feel it bend (slow action rod). If the tip section only bends when the rod is loaded than the rod is likely to have less "feel."

K-fish is an advanced caster and knows how to make things work for him > Fool with line configurations and weights > open stance and look to fine-tune your timing > Long belly line for loading the rod and mending at long distance.

Too bad they shut down the D so now there's no place to fish (nuther thread)... :roll:

Well I had a short later on with a little piece of poly Wing material so I could see where the cast is going. Without having the rod on the water I wasn't getting the resistance when he picked up the line off the grass but would think that it would easily pick up 40 to 50 feet of line. I had measured off 50 and 60 ft to my target bucket and the 50 foot cast was no more than a wrist flick, check it high and Let It Drop.

This isn't something used for chucking an entire rabbit on a hook so it may not be your bag. I got it as a special use rod for specific situations and I think it will handle them nicely provided I'm not curled in the fetal position in the back of the boat after three cans of beer

afishinado wrote:
dano wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on the line. I have the SA Mastery Expert Distance line in an 8wt and the head is 75' > way too long for me to aerialize. A 58' head sounds like a good length to manage. The SA line mends well, though. I never really use super distance lines for trout fishing, though since reaching out a really long distance is one thing and fishing out a drag-free cast is quite another.

Yes, the drift is the challenge.
Where I fish, there are a few sweet spots where it's deep and over my waders near the shore line but has a shallow shoal out in the middle where the big trout are rising.
With so much line on the water, the hook set is another challenge to deal with. It's very rewarding when everything comes together.

Back