STUPID split shot question

KeithS

KeithS

I picked up some of the smaller split shot for FF purposes. Trying to attach it on Saturday, I abandoned the whole idea. The damn things are just too small for my fingers.
Should I invest in the split shot forceps, or are they a waste of money or just a PITA? What do YOU use?

When I decide I need shot (versus just a weighted fly), I figure I want the fly on or very near the bottom, and probably getting there fairly rapidly...so I just use a single BB of the smallest normal size shot. As a matter of fact, it's the only size shot I carry. I don't bother with the really micro FF stuff.

Always grab 3 when you only need one. I use the micro shot mainly on dropper flies. I actually put them in my mouth. The saliva makes them adhere to your fingertips while you struggle to get them on. Then spit the remainder back into the canister. :cool:

Carry forceps, mainly for unhooking fish, but also use them for pinching on split shot.

Do not bite down on split shot, or on tippet, if you value your teeth.

I use the bb sized ones with the wings. I don't think I've used the micro ones for FF in the past 2-3 years. I weight all my nymphs pretty well so they can sink on their own.

JasonS wrote:
Tungsten putty

+1

I tried it before and really thought I hated this stuff until I gave it another try yesterday. It makes life so much easier to adjust your weight on the fly.

My disdain was after trying it about two years ago I used it on a hot summer day and had a heck of a time keeping it on the line...anyone else experience this?

hbgbswanson wrote:
JasonS wrote:
Tungsten putty

My disdain was after trying it about two years ago I used it on a hot summer day and had a heck of a time keeping it on the line...anyone else experience this?

I've found that you get good and bad batches even from the same company. I usually use the orvis tp and I've gotten bad batches were it's hard and not so much putty. You really have to work it hard just to get it soft enough to shape and even then it slides up and down the line.

So yeah, if the first time you bought/used it, it was a bad batch, then I could see that turning you off to it.

Jack, I hope you're using the non-toxic stuff! Don't put lead shot in your mouth for the same reason you shouldn't eat lead based paint chips.

I'm with jack... I put a little pinch between my cheek and gums. I also use my teeth to place... much to the dismay of troutbert. It pales in comparison to my drinking habit! Although that is tempered by the fact that I only go under the surface when I have to!

David wrote:
I'm with jack... I put a little pinch between my cheek and gums. I also use my teeth to place... much to the dismay of troutbert.

I was dismayed when MY tooth broke.

Your tooth, ehhhh, stuff happens. :)

I guess not many guys use them, but I love the match book twisty things. Simple to put on and take off and you can use the amount you need to get down to where you want. Went back to shot early this year and had all of the problems already mentioned here. Hate it.

KeithS wrote:
Should I invest in the split shot forceps, ?

Yes, forceps make putting split shots on your line (and taking them off) much easier.

Forceps may help put them on, but there isn't a tool yet invented that will help take them off. Only way is cut off your fly and slide the damn things off. Hate them!!!!! Again.

englishprof wrote:
Forceps may help put them on, but there isn't a tool yet invented that will help take them off. Only way is cut off your fly and slide the damn things off. Hate them!!!!! Again.

I learned this trick:

Put the jaws of your forceps on either side of the slit ( so the slit runs from jaw to jaw) and squeeze gently. The split will widen enough to get your fingernail in and press to open.

boychick wrote:
Jack, I hope you're using the non-toxic stuff! Don't put lead shot in your mouth for the same reason you shouldn't eat lead based paint chips.

I like to live dangerously.

First of all FisshJdiot and JackM are correct in saying you can remove split shot rather easily with forceps and JackM describes the method exactly. KeithS i bought a box/container of assorted small ff sized split shot and i ran into the same problem you describe , some of them were just too dang small to even pinch on the tippet. I won't make that mistake again. You can buy smalller , ff sized shot without getting those ridiculous ones. One use i did find for the real little ones is to pinch them on a very small , short piece of mono tied in crosswise on crayfish imitations to imitate eyes , they look like those little beady crayfish eyes , instead of wastin 'em.

There are some small needle nosed pliers that work just fine. Check the cutlery stores as they may have some for removing fish bone that are small on the end. GG

englishprof wrote:

My forceps have the little pointy thing for cleaning hook eyes. It can also remove split shot by jamming it in the slit and opening the shot up.

Thank to all. I appreciate the civility.

Back