Rod building question

R

Rkey530

Ok so i'm building a 2pc 9' 3wt from a batson rx7 blank. I got this blank and associated kit from my father for christmas in 07 and because of taking an exam or 6 i just got around to building it. So its all splined and the reel seat, handle, and tip top are on as well as hook keeper and 2 guides and its all looking smart. So tonight i'm gettin ready to put the last guide on the but end and have to put the rod together to get this spot this guide is going to be at centered on my bench and as i'm looking at the female ferrule i see a shadow. I take the rod apart and sure enough the top section at the female ferule is cracked thru and thru from the end up about 3/8". I've never encountered this before. What do i do? The perfectionist in me is thinking ok well thats that this blank is shot, all my work to this point is down the tubes. I thought about maybee trying to replace it under warranty though it its a $63.00 blank and the warrantee return shipping charge is $20.00 and its completely wasted if Batson tells me its not a defect. So warrantee coverage doesn't seem like the way to go. I guess what I'm asking is is this blank just shot and i should just place it in the corner and oh well, or do i put the usual protective wraps over the female ferrule and it'll be fine?

You've finished the bottom half and the top half, which you've not finished, is cracked? Can they send you a new tip? That would be the ideal situation if I read you right. I wouldn't let them charge you return shipping. Tell them you're throwing the other tip away because its junk and they haven't delivered the two good pieces you've already paid for. If you get the whole thing built and you are really, really happy with it, you can send the broken tip back but what's the point? They can't use it either.

If you can take a real good picture, you may be able to e-mail it to their claims department and get a decision like Tom suggested for them to just send a new tip section. I think that crack will just get worse being on the connection as it is.

Can you fix it (yes), but in time if not repaired correctly it is only going to crack more over time or on a big fish. I would call; the warranty should only be if you break the rod. This is a manufacture defect and should cost you nothing.

If they say no...
You have to do a ferrule wrap anyway. Just make it longer and tighter than you would think. However, no too tight that it crushes the blank.

I cracked the first rod I ever build at the furrule (because I didn't put the pieces together tight enough when fishing; I it's want it to get stuck together). The threads were still holding it in place, and I added another coat of finish. It's been years and I still use that rod all the time with no problems.

Back