Rod Warranties

K

kinger26

Are all the quality rod companies out there offering the same warranty, or is there a company you'd say is better than the rest insofar as warrantying their rods goes? Thanks!

You can use the search feature. This has been discussed several times.

Just Google it. Results for you:

Hardy – Lifetime warranty to original owner. $25 handling fee plus 10% retail cost of rod/section. Shipping is from their US warehouse, normally about 10 days.

G. Loomis – Lifetime warranty to original owner. You send in rod and their warranty dept examines rod. If rod broke because of a defect, replacement is free. No handling fee. If from neglect, charges can be well over $100. One time Expeditor service, no questions asked - $100. Gets you a new rod in 3-5 days.

Orvis - 25 year warranty to original owner. $30 handling fee. Rod is repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

Redington – Lifetime warranty to original owner, $30 handling fee. Rod is replaced with a new rod. Usually takes 2 weeks.

R.L. Winston – Lifetime warranty to original owner, $50 handling fee. Older rods not under warranty cost $120 or more. Rods are repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

Sage – Lifetime warranty to original owner. $50 handling fee. Rods are repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

Scott – Lifetime warranty to original owner, $45 handling fee. Rods are repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

St. Croix – Lifetime warranty to original owner, $50 handling fee. Rods are repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

Thomas & Thomas – Lifetime warranty to original owner, $50 handling fee. Rods are repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) - Lifetime warranty to original owner. $25 handling fee. Rods are replaced with a new rod. Usually takes 1 week.

TFO warranty is no questions asked – return it with $25 and you get a new rod.

I broke a TiCr and when returned that model was discontinued. TFO called me and allowed me to select ANY model/size/wt rod as a warranty replacement. I had my new rod within 10 days of sending the original one in.

Also broke a couple Winston WTs – a male ferrule simply fell out and a female ferrule snapped while playing a fish. They waived the handling fee on the male ferrule and charged $50 on the female ferrule. The female repair was a new mid section for the rod. Both repairs took about 4 weeks.

I have invoked orvis' warranty twice....both times resulted in an entirely new rod.....although they were both clearwater models not the helios or access'

TFO charged me $25 and had me send in a complete rod. A week later I received my rod back with a new piece.

They did not care I was not the original owner.

Note that Orvis only warranties finished rods - they do NOT warranty their blanks. I found this out the hard way - their warranty says "we will refund your money on any purchase that isn't 100% satisfactory. Any time, for any reason"
Well that isn't true regarding rod blanks even though I could not find rod blank mentioned at all on their warranty page. A broken superfine is not satisfactory to me (ferrule broke while playing a fish - 19" rainbow) .
Went up the chain of command to the head of the rod repair division and no one would honor that warranty on a rod blank - they will repair for $.

Also the $50 fees from other companies might as well be a repair charge - to me a warranty doesn't have an associated cost.
Handling fee? come on.

kbobb wrote:

Also the $50 fees from other companies might as well be a repair charge - to me a warranty doesn't have an associated cost.
Handling fee? come on.

Many warranties have a deductible. I like the way St Croix handles repairs. If it failed due to their fault no charge. I you broke it, didnt register it, not original owner, etc you pay a very reasonable fee. If you broke it and want to trade up you can do that too, paying the difference plus repair fee.

Again, their defect should be no charge. Your fault, $50 is very reasonable to find replacement, proper fitting sections, hand paint serial numbers, ship and buy $750 worth of insurance.

Scott's fee is $50. My G2 broke while casting, I did not break it, it is registered as I am the original owner. They called it a handling charge, I call it hosing a guy who spent $745 on their rod.

My only other rod breakage was a TFO. $25 and new rod was in hand 4 days later.

I've sent two rods back to scott for warranty repair. You pay a processing fee and ship the rod to them. I think the fee was $45 at the time. They built a new butt section for one rod and a new tip for antoher. Both rods are good as new. One was reparied and returened to me within 2 weeks as it was the peak of the spring fishing season and they expidited the repair so I wouldn't miss out!

I have sent in orvis rods and sage rods. Never a problem with the sage(but section replaced, but I am on orvis rod # 7 (4 TLS's, upgraded to,2 t3's, then to 2 hydros rods).

I just sent my Diamondback back to Cortland for the second time. The first time was in '02, I believe. It was broken again in '03 but I just got around to sending it back last week. Both times resulted in quick turn around and no questions asked.

On this occasion, I sent it in Friday and got it back today with a new tip section. I've been very impressed with their service. Hopefully I can keep it in one piece from here on out. I think the first time that I sent it in the fee was only $10 or $15. It is now $30 which is still reasonable.

Im about to test the redington waters... I snapped the tip section of my pursuit, so we will see how that goes. Given I would bet it was my fault, I threw a shooting head on it and have been self teaching myself shooting head casting, though I dont remember clipping it with the clouser I was throwing around but very well could have. But the tip broke just stretching my leader out a bit, before going out to fish/practice cast.

Ran over my Diamondback VSR last year. A friend got ahold of Cortland and sent it in for me at 20 dollars and 11 dollars for the insurance. 3 weeks later I got my A-1 rod back with a new top half. This rod fits me better than any Sage or Winston I have ever handled.
I made sure he did not lie about what happened to the rod. I just wanted the rod back in action and I was willing to pay into the hundreds. Strangely it was one of the rods WITHOUT the Cortland name anywhere on it.
Feels like an old friends back that I havent seen in awhile.

i'm switching around my thoughts, after digging through the fishing goodies last night, i found a nice tip section that i have so that's going on there. the rod should go from a 9' to a bout a 10'9". i seem to prefer longer rods anyways, or way shorter...

Back