Rod Warranties on Resold Rods

T

troutbert

Does a rod warranty typically only apply to the original purchaser?

I won a Winston WT rod at a raffle, but I already have an 8 1/2 ft, 5 wt, so I want to sell this rod.

Whoever buys the rod would of course prefer to have a warranty, but can the warranty be transferred?

If not, how much would that affect the value of the rod? Retail for the rod is about $630. What's a reasonable price to ask for the rod? It's absolutely new, never been cast.

Call Winston, tell them you won it in a raffle and want to know if it is covered. If they say yes and want you to register it, pretend like the connection is bad and tell them you'll call back. Then sell it and let the buyer register the product. :-D

Arrgghh!! Why didn't I think of that. I sent in the warranty card right after I won it. I should have consulted a good attorney....

Call Winston anyway. You may be able to transfer the warranty.

If not, how much would that affect the value of the rod? Retail for the rod is about $630. What's a reasonable price to ask for the rod? It's absolutely new, never been cast.

I think if you put it up on e-bay you will be pleasantly surprised. I just sold a 10 year old Sage Discovery Series (entry level rod) for $155. It was $189 new.

My friend had two Sage 5wt's (rp somethings) custom made about 7 years ago for about $450 each. I sold mine for $380 on ebay last summer.

Research the prices on e-bay. There is an option to research past sales that some are not aware of. Make the sale 10 days long. Start at $150 or so, and set a reasonable reserve of around $300. Include a good description (rip from Winstons site) and take a nice photo or two and you will do very well.

Have fun, my guess without research is you will see the high $400 to low $500 range.

Back