Reel for Orvis Recon 10' 3wt Nymph Rod

mattwolf

mattwolf

I am going to get an Orvis Recon 10' 3wt Nymph Rod and wasn't sure what reel to get with it. I have an Orvis gift card, so I would like to keep it an Orvis reel. I am thinking about the Battenkill Disk Drag, but wasn't sure how it would pair up. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

mattwolf wrote:
I am going to get an Orvis Recon 10' 3wt Nymph Rod and wasn't sure what reel to get with it. I have an Orvis gift card, so I would like to keep it an Orvis reel. I am thinking about the Battenkill Disk Drag, but wasn't sure how it would pair up. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

I would check it out at the shop. A BK Disc should work, and is plenty of reel to handle any trout.

The Recon 103 has a downlocking reel seat to help balance the rod easier. If BK Disc II is a little light, don't hesitate to move up to a III with some extra backing to fill the spool.

If you can't get to a shop, give any one of them a call. I'm sure they will check out the balance for the rod you want and get you the best reel possible, wind on the backing and line and ship it to you.

Good luck.

afishinado,

Thanks for the advice and information. I was between a II and a III on the BK.

Thanks,

Love the hydros sl, great reel. Comes in handy on the bigger rivers.

ryansheehan wrote:
Love the hydros sl, great reel. Comes in handy on the bigger rivers.

True^ . For a small amount of difference in price you may consider buying a Hydros SL reel instead of the BK Disc.

What size SL? The II or III? I'm thinking the II, but will it be to light?

The 2, no it won't be too light. The hydros is heavier than the bk.

ryansheehan wrote:
The 2, no it won't be too light. The hydros is heavier than the bk.

^+1 Ryan has it

Battenkill Disc III - 4.9 oz., 3¼" diameter - $169

Hydros SL II - 5.6 oz, 3½" diameter - $198

The Hydros SL has a larger diameter spool and weighs a bit more. I would guess it would be a near perfect match for your 103 Recon.

It has a sealed drag, is a true large arbor reel, and is up to the task of landing any trout of any size.

Good luck.

Sounds like I found my match.

Thanks for the help.

I have a mirage II on my 10’ 3 wt recon. Matches it perfectly. Be careful with the downlocking reel seat. I had my reel get stuck on there and had to get it off with pliers. The whole entire reel seat spun when I did this.

Just get a five weight reel and if its to light you could put lead tape on the spool to help balance it out the rod to your liking .

I've got the same rod and absolutely love it. It balances very nicely with a Nautilus FW5, which with backing, line, and 5 ft. polyleader weighs 7 1/4 ounces.
Hope that helps.

What weight line are you using on this rod?

I use a 3wt. Rio single hand spey.

Someone recommended a 2wt weight forward line for this set-up.

If you are strictly using this for nymphing and never going to cast it then check out a true czech nymph line. They're about the diameter of backing and used to reduce sag in the line when tight lining to keep in better contact with your flies. Meets competition standards. Cortland has one and my company Risen Fly has some as well.

Back