Recommend a chest pack?

M

mgh-pa

Alright. Plans are definitely to get on the water this year (I'm a noob). I have a vest that I used when spin fishing, but I don't like the bulk or the fit. I'm thinking a nice chest pack would do the trick, stay lightweight, and work best overall. Problem is, I really only hear of fishpond being discussed on here. Are they the go to brand? Any recommendations for $60-$70 max? I don't need a HUGE carrying capacity, but I'd like to be able to carry the essentials. So, what are you thoughts?

L.L Bean has a really nice chestpack that is just the ticket for short adventures. I just received mine, and it's the best $39 I've spent in a long time.

There's some good stuff on this site MRFC

I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on that Fall sale with Loon and their chest pack with a hydration bladder for $15!!!

Go try them on somewhere. If it's not comfortable, don't get it. Put some stuff in the pockets, walk around for a while. I have a chest pack and it's ok for what I want it for right now. I'd rather have more storage up front, rather than a large pocket in the back. I'm stuffed full with 3 fly boxes, tippet, indicators and shot. It would be nice to have a bit more room. You'll appreciate it once you accumulate more "stuff". I do like the large back pocket to keep a rain coat in and stuff I don't use regularly but practically I use the stuff in front every time I fish.

I decided to ditch the vest last year because I am a heavy guy, 5'9' 230 lbs. I sweat with waders and a vest on even in early spring on some warm days, and in summer I suffer. I bought this,

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_91536_175008000_175000000_175008000_175-8-0

and it was cheap. It's smaller than some of them, but I can fit a few boxes in it allong with leaders, camera, or whatever. It comes with several straps and harnesses of varying lengths. I stripped mine down to just the shoulder strap, and wear it over my neck keeping it slung behind me.

On really warm days in the spring or summer, I'll even ditch that and just wear my Columbia four pocket shirt and some cargo shorts (see my avatar). I really like to be comfortable when I'm fishing, especially if I'm going to cover a few miles. To me it doesn't make sense to wear a vest in a lot of situations, especially smaller wooded streams where a lot of walking or hiking is involved.

P.S. Now if I could get the Columbia in a sage color I would be set. They do sell them in camo, which I have and do not wear as often because I just feel weird wearing realtree camo when it's not hunting season. I must be self conscious about looking too redneck.

Fishpond makes some nice packs but also take a look at William Joseph. I've been really happy with my gear from Willy J. They've updated most of their gear to have magnetic closures so you should be able to find good deals on the older models.

I got a fanny/chest pack. Its an option worth considering. Depends on your wading habits. Mine is hardly low profile as a chest pack but I rarely wader chest deep anymore. When I do I tolerate it. When I don't I much prefer it on my waist and completely out of the way. It much prefer it for walking any distance as well.

I'm partial to all things William Joseph, so the access pack is what I would recommend.

But there is a new gear company called Allen Fly Fishing that is raising some eyebrows in terms of quality of gear and price. I know people that have screamed some chromers on his reels, and swear by them (and they're $60-100!). I would check them out and email Jeff from the site about a chest pack. I know he's working on getting them to market, but he might be able to get you and a pre-release.

Edit: Allen Fly Fishing just added a backpack/chest pack today that retails for $78. I am now checking that out for myself. Much better price point than fishpond and others.

check these sales out:

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4

Page 4: Patagonia "Double Haul" Chest Pack
Page 9: William Joseph "Equinox" Pack (I just pick this one up on deals on the fly for half the price. seems pretty nice, good storage, tippet control system, 2 built-in zingers, misc. other pockets, and built in fly box on the front. Back can handle hydration bladder, lots of fly boxes, pack coat, or whatever. I haven't used it yet but tried it on, adjusted down and seems to fit well and comfortable. time will tell...)

Here's a simms dry bag (more of a hip pack, but waterproof. I have two of them a love em)

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php/65649-SIMMS-dry-creek-bag

I love my William Joseph Confluence Pack.

The small backpack is the perfect size for water, food and raincoat. The front compartments have all the room for the flies and gear I need to carry as a guide.

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 2
ryguyfi wrote:
I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on that Fall sale with Loon and their chest pack with a hydration bladder for $15!!!

Me to! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

i dont like my chest pack its a pain if your a smaller guy which i am not i imagine you would not have this problem but it sits too far out and i cannot see where im putting my feet when wading which can be dangerous.... ill be switching to a waist pack hopefully i can find something to carry all my crap..... i carry 4 fly boxes small box with shot indicators atleast 5 spools of leader and tippet sometimes a spool of 4 lb mono i too wouldnt mind a hydration bladder but if your drinking on the stream peeing on the stream is sort of an ordeal in chest waders.....especially in the winter or when the fish are hot sorry for the ramblings

William Joseph packs are great i have had three. my problem was i bought there smallest one then i needed more room, got another one, needed more room now i have there biggest one. i got it from www.fishwest.com. they have great people to talk to and i have done alot of business with them...they have some on clearance. that is the pack i would go to!!

Hey flip... why don't you try one of those over the shoulder packs. The one's like a messanger bag. I know it would be a little akward at first, but I know a few guys who have them and they like it. Then it will be on your hip and you won't have to worry about it being in your line of site.

flipnfly wrote:
[color=CC0000]i dont like my chest pack its a pain if your a smaller guy which i am not i imagine you would not have this problem but it sits too far out and i cannot see where im putting my feet when wading which can be dangerous....[/color] ill be switching to a waist pack hopefully i can find something to carry all my crap..... i carry 4 fly boxes small box with shot indicators atleast 5 spools of leader and tippet sometimes a spool of 4 lb mono i too wouldnt mind a hydration bladder but if your drinking on the stream peeing on the stream is sort of an ordeal in chest waders.....especially in the winter or when the fish are hot sorry for the ramblings

I hate the chest packs with a large front compartment for the reason you wrote. I like the ones with two separate compartments on each side. Mine works well for me.

I'll second, or third, or fourth the W&J packs. Check mrfc.com and click on clearance. They have a few that are half off.

FishOnCamp wrote:
Fishpond makes some nice packs but also take a look at William Joseph. I've been really happy with my gear from Willy J. They've updated most of their gear to have magnetic closures so you should be able to find good deals on the older models.

I like the fishponds. You get what you pay for.

Look at the Downstream with attachements. If you want to spend a few more dollars look at the Richardson with attachements. I have both and will never wear a vest.

Joe E

I didn't mean anything negative towards Fishpond, my brother uses one and it's very nice. I wanted to give another option and I believe that William Joseph makes gear which is just as nice.

I have an orvis one that has a built in backpack.. I got it on sale for like 70 bucks or something last year..

Back