Question about a Sage I purchased.....

K

Keith

I picked up a Sage today with the markings graphite II 690 LLB on it. It is a 9 foot 2 piece. I cannot find any info on it but for 35$ in new condition I couldn't pass up. Any info would be appreciated.

Keith,

There are a few 690 LLB's on the web ranging from $150 to $200 asking price. For $35 you got a fantastic deal.

Thank you. What does the LLB mean?

If I remember correctly the Sage's formula is:
Graphite II= (Material)
90=(9'0")
6=(6wt)
LL=(Light Lines model)
B=(Blank)
4=(pieces), 2 usually not shown as understood
Means custom made 9', 6wt., Light Line model, 2 pc's. built on a Sage blank. An excellent rod for a great price. Enjoy.
Moosehead_Belle

Thank you for the info guys....much appreciated. I knew it was a great deal just didn't know how great.

The LL (Lightline Lightweight) series had a somewhat slower action and weighed a little lighter in overall rod weight than their RP (Reserve Power), MA (Moderate Action), or RPL (Reserve Power Lightweight) Counterparts. Graphite II was Sages branding of what is commonly known as IM6. Loomis IM6 and later IMX offerings were in direct competion with SAGE at that time(both being built in Washington state). SAGE transitioned to Graphite III around the 1987/88 time frame. I'm dating your blank to be just prior to that time. All Sage blanks and tapers of that vintage were designed by Don Green (he started at Fenwick) and are classics in their own right. I own two LL's, two RPL's, one RP, and one RPLX. I still fish them all some 25+ years later. IMHO, The rods of the Don Green era have NEVER been surpassed even with modern tapers and technology. Back in the day, I used to rep and retail their products before they whored out to the big box retailers. You really got a great deal on a classic blank!

Back