Porta Bote

StudentofTheStream

StudentofTheStream

Anyone ever scoped one of boats out? They've sparked my interest as I'd love to get something portable that I could strap onto my car or small SUV with easy storage.

It has many features I like but can't say if I believe it will take some abuse. Any thoughts or experiences with these things?

Porta Bote

Not sure I want to drop the 2g's on it plus potentially a small outboard for the propulsion.

I like a kayak.

Does look portable though it that was the main goal but seems pricey.

Some of the new fishing kayaks are nice.

Just how much abuse were you planning on giving it? I've had one for over 15 years now, though I rarely use it. I'm not sure you could damage one if you tried, other than running over it with your truck when it was assembled. Folded, you could run over it with no problem.

Things to consider: They are very flexible, so you don't feel like you are on a very stable platform. Unless they've made major changes in the last 15 years, there are lots of little bits and pieces that hold the seats in place. Even with care and baggies at the ready, it is easy to lose a piece or two while trying to put the boat together or take it apart in a hurry when it's raining or when a cloud of mosquitos are attacking. I wouldn't even think of carrying 4 adults in one. Two adults and two small kids, max, and the adults better not be supersized, in which case there'd be no room for the kids. The ad says 4 people and 20 MPH with a 5 horse motor. What it doesn't say is "not at the same time." 20 MPH might be possible with only a skinny 7 year old in the boat, but not with a couple adults. Bottom line: if you want a boat (not a couple kayaks) and don't have anyplace to store one on a trailer it is a very reasonable option. If you are always going to go by yourself and don't need the room to take a lot of gear with you, sesriously consider a kayak.

if you are going to be fishing in at least a foot of water[lakes,ponds,deeper creeks] seriously consider the Hoby kayak.
I have the 9'-Hoby has foot propulsion so you can paddle and cast at same time-you can also remove the paddles and go ultra shallow
Not quite as fast as the sleeker ones but much more stable.
I love mine-fishing machine.$1500-11 footer-$1900
Lite enough to wade and pull along

My main reasons for wanting such a craft are that I would most likely have 1 to 2 full grown companions to fish with and am looking for the ability to stand up when I fish. My usage would be for some medium sized rivers for smallies though a float down the J or the Yough might be on the list.

A kayak limits me a bit in these areas and I don't really have the storage for a normal boat.

Back