Orvis Reel Left Hand to Right Hand

docdom

docdom

I have an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor I that I was given that is setup for left handed fisherman (reel handle on right side).

How do I convert this to a right handed fisherman reel with the handle on left side? Do I have to remove all the line and put on in opposite direction?

Thanks in advance.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

RCFetter, that manual doesn't match my reel even though the name is correct. Here are pictures of the reel in question if that helps.

OrvisBattenkillLargeArborI2_zpsb3890d7d.jpg

OrvisBattenkillLargeArborI1_zps13fdef77.jpg

OrvisBattenkillLargeArborI3_zpsfaa87397.jpg

OrvisBattenkillLargeArborI4_zps006e86b5.jpg

I'm not familiar with that particular reel, but my guess is that little brass nut in the center of the spool pops out and you flip it over then put it back in. You will need to remove all the line and backing and run it on in the opposite direction.

Hope this helps.
Matt

When in doubt - take it to a fly shop. Let the pros do it. You can wind the backing and line back on yourself but I would let them flip the reel.

Thanks guys. I did some searching on Orvis's website and couldn't find anything so my next step is taking it in to my local Orvis to have them take care of it.

docdom wrote:
Thanks guys. I did some searching on Orvis's website and couldn't find anything so my next step is taking it in to my local Orvis to have them take care of it.

This is easy. On picture #2, there's a little silver slotted screw above the spindle.

Remove it and the black plastic gear cover.

Flip the brass gear that goes on the spindle over.

Reassemble, pull all line and backing out (leave it attached at the arbor), and reel it all back on.

Five minutes, tops.

I have the exact same reel.

Thanks Heritage-Angler. I did remove the silver screw and remove the cover and flip the gear as that is the same method explained in the first manual posted. I wanted to confirm I had to remove all the line and backing and reel back on the correct way after flipping the gear which I have discovered is the only way to do it.

Flipped the gear, removed all line and backing and put back on in opposite direction. Had it out on the water today.

Thanks for the help.

Back