Orvis Fly Lines

LetortAngler

LetortAngler

While I was out shopping I came across some Orvis Hydro Superfine (Spring Creek) fly line for sale. I've normally used SA, and Rio on my rods and have yet to try out an Orvis line, so just lookin for some reviews/info regarding their fly lines. I was also told by a Orvis Store manager that Orvis owns scientific angler?

I use the superfine line on my 4wt Hardy Test. Its a nice line for dry fly presentations.

I haven't been happy with my Orvis fly lines. I feel they prematurely crack and on one line, the "welded" loop broke. I switched to Rio after Orvis but I can't say they're any better as I'm seeing cracking on my 4 wt line that I use for the majority of my fishing.

I've owned several Orvis lines and never had a problem with them. I suspect they're pretty much identical to SA, because as mentioned before, they own SA.

Orvis now owns SA, but their R&D as well as production are separate. SA is still in Michigan. Their high-end lines are of similar quality and price. I think the SA lines are a little stiffer & are better for bass fishing on your trout rig. The Orvis lines (like Hydros 3D, and I assume the new HD though it's too new to tell) get a little limp in 80 degree water, but they're still good in the coldest of days.

The only other difference I know of is that SA puts a small section of untextured line between the head's taper & the shooting line.

Fly line has just gotten awesome in the last 5 years.

Oh, and worth noting, the kiss of death to loops is tying mono on the loop like it is a hook eye. That'll peel the PVC right off. Loops must accept a loop to loop connex. If you want a connection that really, really doesn't hinge, just cut the loop off and nail knot it.

Back