Orvis Far N Fine Fly Rod

T

troutbert

Were there different versions of this rod?

On web searches I came across something called the "Clearwater Far N Fine." What is that?

Are there versions and/or years that were better than others?

troutbert wrote:

On web searches I came across something called the "Clearwater Far N Fine." What is that?

I believe the "Clearwater" Far N Fine is a cheaper version of the regular FNF rod. Some say it's the same blank with cheaper hardware. I can't verify that, but it may be true.

This is going back a ways to the brief period I was employed in the biz...

I think the original Clearwater F&F was built on the same blank as the high end Superfine F&F, Assembly of the rod though was outsourced offshore. I think.

The Green Mountain F&F (and there may have been a Rocky Mountain as well) was US built, same blank as the Superfine. The rod tube was not nearly so fancy and as I recall, the finished rods were more rough in feel and appearance having been sanded less. The windings were also a little cheaper, etc. and it had an all aluminum uplocking reel seat. Same rod as the Superfine in terms of function though.

This is at least how I think I remember it being at the time, which was circa 1993-94. I could be way off though. Lately, that's been happening to me more and more...:)

I have 2 Premium/Superfine F&F's. One from 1983 and another from 1988. I do considerably less trout fishing these days than I did during the period from 1975-2014 and I really don't need two of them any more. On top of this, I bought an LLBean 7'10" Pocket Water for a 5 wgt. on a whim when I needed a 4-pc for travel, etc. Turns out I like it as much as my F&F's even if it is made somewhere in Guangdong province. So, one of my F&F's may be on the block before long. May..

Watch this space..

RLeep2 wrote:
This is going back a ways to the brief period I was employed in the biz...

I think the original Clearwater F&F was built on the same blank as the high end Superfine F&F, Assembly of the rod though was outsourced offshore. I think.

I'm pretty sure all Orvis was still made and assembled in house during that time period. I do distinctly remember the Clearwaters were just a more spartan version of the Superfines.

afishinado wrote:
troutbert wrote:

I believe the "Clearwater" Far N Fine is a cheaper version of the regular FNF rod. Some say it's the same blank with cheaper hardware. I can't verify that, but it may be true.

My recollection is the same, same blank, different bling; similar to the days of the Battenkill & Madison.

I doubt there was ever an "off shore" version of the Far & Fine" however, calling or emailing Orvis is way to get the definitive answer.

Back