Orvis Battenkill Spey V 9-11wt

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Looking at this reels as a possibility for a new river rod i bought in the 8-10wt range. The weight of the reel sounds great and about right.
Anyone have experience with these?

I don't have one but have handled them. Decent reel, especially for 100 bucks. A step down from a Marquis Salmon 1, but will do the job fine.

I appreciate that but I'm not totally sure you handled the spey version unless you rounded way down. They are selling for almost 200.
Is it possible you handled the normal battenkill?

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I appreciate that but I'm not totally sure you handled the spey version unless you rounded way down. They are selling for almost 200.
Is it possible you handled the normal battenkill?

I believe the Battenkill V (Click and Pawl) is $149 and the Battenkill Disc (with a disc Drag) is $198.

Both BK reels are solid, but most anglers would choose a reel with a drag for fighting big fish.

Ah I see.

So I'm a bit confused here then.
Is the spey model the one with the disc drag?

Edit: i see the spey version is a disc drag which makes sense.
Thank you

Ah I see.

So I'm a bit confused here then.
Is the spey model the one with the disc drag?

Both the BK & BK Disc can be used on spey rods. Both are just larger diameter / heavier weight reels for spey rods.

I recommend the BK Disc. It has a drag for fighting bigger fish and is heavier to help balance out a longer/heavier spey rod. At less than $200, it's modestly priced and a real solidly built reel for the money.

Right. I handled the click one a couple days ago. I thought they were all 100 bucks. It felt like a solid reel.

Tom,

I've been looking at these. I just don't get this. Is there not a model for spey?
I get that either can be used but they are specifically listing a separate model are they not?

899732.JPG

Tom,

I've been looking at these. I just don't get this. Is there not a model for spey?
I get that either can be used but they are specifically listing a separate model are they not?

899732.JPG

I believe with the BK Disc Spey reels, the back plate is not ported to add weight for balancing a longer and more heavyweight spey rod (pictured on the right side in pic below).

Attachments

• BK Disc.jpg
    BK Disc.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 5
Back