Nymphing Rod suggestions

ryanpgh

ryanpgh

I'm in the market for a 10' 4wt nymphing rod. I like the advantages the extra foot has over my all around 9' 5wt for keeping line off the water and line mending. I've been told to get as light as I can find due to arm fatigue from high sticking all day. I'm trying to stay under $250.

So far, I've found an Aleka A8 weighing in at a very feathery 2.96oz for $175. I've never fished the brand, however they get nice reviews, all be it Chinese model.

The other rod I've considered is the Orvis Clearwater weighing in at 3.75oz. They get excellent reviews and Orvis customer care is hard to beat, all be it Orvis' base level rod.

Cabela's has their CZN (czech nymphing rod) on sale for $140. Its 3.4oz and gets great reviews as well. My concern with the Cabela's stuff is they are supposed to make a "big" announcement regarding the corporation and all signs point to them being bought out by Bass Pro Shops. Therefore, I would assume any type of warranty on any cabela's rods would be out the window, but i could be wrong.

Any of you guys throw a 10' 4wt? Thoughts or suggestions?

You might want to handle a TFO BVK in that configuration. I don't have one but have talked to some guys that use it on larger waters and like it. TFO also has a good warranty and service reputation.

Syndicate hands down. look online and you can find them for that price.

I have the TFO BVK 10ft 4wt and love it. I have a wulff triangle taper line on it, and I can go from high sticking to casting 60ft for dries easily(I can't cast the best). It is a great all around rod. I have caught Upper Delaware rainbows with it, down to small mountain brookies.

Vote for the syndicate.

Greys XF2 or TFO BVK are what I have used. Both have been great rods. Look into the new Redington line up. I know they just released a rod called the Hydrogen. It is supposed to be the lightest rod in it's class. Whatever that means.

I am going to pick up a 11' 3wt in a few weeks.

My fiancé bought me the Clearwater 10' 4wt for my birthday last month. I've only been out twice since then but I really like it. It casts great. I heard the Cortland competition nymph rod is really nice too but I never personally tried one.

One thing to add, if you haven't read already, is you're going to need a heavier reel to balance the rod out. I was using a Okuma SLV 5/6 wt reel and my Clearwater was still tip heavy. Gave me the perfect excuse to get a new reel so I bought a Lamson Guru 3. I think it's their 6-7 wt reel and it balances it out perfectly. In hindsight I could of wrapped lead tape or something under the backing on my Okuma but it's hard to pass up a good excuse for a new reel lol.

i love my 10 2wt syndicate and my 10 3wt esn but i use my syndicate, i have a orvis access 10' 4wt that is really nice that i would sell.

Someone is selling an H2 10 foot 4 weight, thats an awesome stick and he is selling for a great price.

724flyfishing wrote:
My fiancé bought me the Clearwater 10' 4wt for my birthday last month. I've only been out twice since then but I really like it. It casts great. I heard the Cortland competition nymph rod is really nice too but I never personally tried one.

One thing to add, if you haven't read already, is you're going to need a heavier reel to balance the rod out. I was using a Okuma SLV 5/6 wt reel and my Clearwater was still tip heavy. Gave me the perfect excuse to get a new reel so I bought a Lamson Guru 3. I think it's their 6-7 wt reel and it balances it out perfectly. In hindsight I could of wrapped lead tape or something under the backing on my Okuma but it's hard to pass up a good excuse for a new reel lol.

My two pennies on the Cortland rod....there is a reason everyone that purchased one sold them. They seemed to break way to easily and often.

In regards to the reel....balance is really not a factor like you think it would be. I go for the lightest reel. I use a Guru 1.5 on my ESN and a Galvan Torque 3/4wt reel for my Greys xf2 4wt.

SBecker wrote:
724flyfishing wrote:

My two pennies on the Cortland rod....there is a reason everyone that purchased one sold them. They seemed to break way to easily and often.

In regards to the reel....balance is really not a factor like you think it would be. I go for the lightest reel. I use a Guru 1.5 on my ESN and a Galvan Torque 3/4wt reel for my Greys xf2 4wt.
I heard the same thing about the Cortland Comp Rod. IMO the "Brook" series was a much better rod. I have one in 10" 5 weight and it's my favorite rod for nymph fishing. It's tough too. They did make them in 10" 4 weight also. You may be able to find a used one as they have been discontinued.

Back