Next to Skin underlayer

mcfinn

mcfinn

Checked out new underlayer today sold @ Orvis called Next To Skin... some kind of plush micro-suede or nano-spongey fabric stuff whose name i forget - anyway - it was AWESOME. Eerily comfy fabric with a slightly scratchy price of 108 bucks, but i will save up to buy this just to say i have 100$ underwear that aren't Fiacci. Go to underlayer had been Marmot, but Next to Skin blows them out the door.

warmth -wise or comfort-wise? I cant say enough good things about patagonia's capilene. I use columbia's omni-heat as well.

+1 for the capilene

I have three different weights in top and bottom
great for hunting or steelhead

I think I have 2,3,4 in tops and bottoms. 4 is insane. You could wear JUST 4 and be completely comfortable in 35 degrees for a few hours. Now, imagine what happens when you begin layering that with other gear. I just appreciate it so much, because it allows me to only have to wear like 3 layers in the coldest temps and therefore retain some form of flexibility. It is totally worth the crazy price tag.

Polar Fleece is good for me. But many times I find I don't need heavy underwear, long johns will do.

I also use polar fleece. It is lightweight, warm and comfortable. If the temp is warmer than I will wear polypro longjohns instead.

I don't think I'm the only one that has a problem with cold feet! I put wool (I even bought some socks from a fly shop and tried them) over my nylon socks which seams to help, and even add some foot warmers in around the toes. But after standing in the icy waters my feet get cold after a couple of hours. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Back