New rod from redington

jabink84

jabink84

http://new.pitchengine.com/pitches/7447bf93-0c1d-45d9-a72c-d476ed5501f4

I think it is pretty cool. I will be getting the 8 wt version as soon as it is available.

What do you guys think of the new style handle?

Looks cool, it has a Winn grip on it and I have used them before on my golf clubs and could see them working well on a fly rod although definitely not for the traditionalist.

Why didn't they market as "cpx with gama grip over the cork"? Interesting though. I toss one when they are available.

Bout' time a budget/midrange rod company wised up and decided to cover their crappy looking cork.

For what it is worth, similar coverings have been available for years from rod building suppliers.

Kev

So, by 2025 we can be sick and tired of nouveau EVA and can clamor for a return to classic cork?

OK. Sure, why not.

ugly and weird ! hey soon you can hit 9 holes and bass fish at the same time....

Maybe it is the young guy coming out in me but I think it looks awesome. It is not my grandpas cork style grip. I have always liked the wright and mcgill s curve fly rods because of the eva grips, so this rod is right up my alley.

On a side not, they introduced a glass rod today also.

While I am not a fan of this rod, I do like that Redington is coming out with a new rod called the Butter Stick which is a fiberglass rod similar to the Scott F2 series...only these retail for $249.99...

Orvis is also supposed to release glass for 2014 according to some talk online...

Why not spend $50 less and get one made by the guy who's name [d]is [/d] was on the company?

http://www.southforkrodcompany.com/sf_glass_rods.html

"The blanks are rolled by Margot (Redington), trimmed and ferruled by David (Redington)."

For $20 more, you can get one made by Lamiglas to David's design and his handiwork in wrapping it (at least the one example I had):
http://www.southforkrodcompany.com/classic_freshwater_rods.html

Supporting a small American maker rather an Asian importer.

I don't like Winn grips on my golf clubs and would have no desire to own a fly rod with one on it. I may be a graphite rod user but I gotta have traditional cork handle.

It's an interesting concept on the grip, but first off I've never had an issue with a cork grip slipping either casting or fighting a fish. Maybe with the larger weight rods it could help, but I wouldn't consider it on my trout rods. Also, does it effect the balance of the rod? I know some people put more worth on it than others, but I would expect it to add a bit to the weight.

I like good old fashioned cork handles.

Could they pick a brighter color? Nothing like waving a bright pink rod.

specs for cork and the new grip are both posted. Going off the 8wt the vapen red is .3 oz heavier. Both are lighter than my TICR and the same weight as plenty of rods on the market.
I have never had a problem with the cork on any of my rods, but I am pretty sure it will be a comfortable grip (for my style of fishing at least)

Back