New rod, reel and line

JMP

JMP

If cost is not an issue, you have the opportunity to select any new rod, reel and line. What would you select and why?

I'd get a handmade bamboo rod and a big *** hatch reel because you need a really big real to counterbalance the bamboo.

Payne 97, Hardy Perfect reel and a Terenzio silk DT.

I'd buy a Oyster Bamboo rod.

Ben Turpin bamboo rod size appropriate for your needs I like Orvis Battenkill reels and fly lines. Just my two cents.

Jeeze , it never occurred to me you could fly fish for oysters...

I like the Radian rods, Lamson reels, and I think my favorite line was the Sharkskin.

But there’s a bunch of reels I never even looked at because price is a consideration for me.

Can’t imagine you need much drag for oysters?

As I understand it, with oysters it's all about the take.

If I had the budget I'd buy as many blanks, cork handles, reel seats etc. that I could afford and enjoy many years of building rods.

Since i have been enjoying spey fishing and iam currently saving up for one....
Id go with an RB Meiser conversion rod paired with a hardy reel of some sort . lines would depend on the performance of the rod with the line. I often get a few before i find what i like.

Sage method with spare tip or Scott radian. I've gotten reels from $20 - $300+ and can't say that any have been life changing but do like the lamson and ross reels that I do have. As for line, I'm almost with DaveS but I think sharkwave was the best line I've ever used.

Scott Radian. Like the feel and the cork handle fits me well. Lamson litespeed or speedster reel cause I like Lamson for overall durability and their drags. SA Mastery MPX cause it’s 1/2 line heavier and seems good for casting streamers.

Oyster Bamboo rods built in Blue Ridge Georgia. He also has classes if you want to build your own. Check it out and you'll want a Oyster rod.

just_jon wrote:
Payne 97, Hardy Perfect reel and a Terenzio silk DT.

If we're talking current makers only, I might choose something by Per Brandin, but agree on the reel and line. (Although I already own a Perfect.)

Can’t say much on a rod but I just bought the new orvis mirage LT III. Retail around 350 it it’s smother lighter then anything I’ve ever used. When looking I was plays with a hatch and Landon’s and the orvis blew them out of the water on every aspect. Other then that I’d look at a galvin torque if you want something as smooth. I think the orvis is cheaper.

A real Garrison 212E and a real #2 or #1 Edward Von Hofe to hang on it 'cause they were the things I lusted for as a kid.

But if I wanted current fishing rods, it would be a 7'6" or 8'0" 5wt by Per Brandin, Hoagy (if he could be talked into it) or Walt Carpenter and a 2-3/4 or 3" Saracione Deluxe II Trout reel to hang on it...

...but my wife would probably shoot my eye out.

I already have the Terenzio lines.

"But if I wanted current fishing rods, it would be a 7'6" or 8'0" 5wt by Per Brandin,"

I don't think I would live long enough to be on his waiting list. :)

JMP wrote:

If cost is not an issue, you have the opportunity to select any new rod, reel and line. What would you select and why?

For most, it seems that the price tag directly influences their rod decision.

If the money was sitting there, I'd choose to continue to fish with one of my current rods and reels, which are perfectly adequate, then use that money to pay for a nice trip with those current setups.

Rolf wrote:
"But if I wanted current fishing rods, it would be a 7'6" or 8'0" 5wt by Per Brandin,"

I don't think I would live long enough to be on his waiting list. :)
If "money was no object," I'd pay somebody for their place further up the line. ;-)

Back