New Nippers

G

greenhead

I have a cheap pair of nippers from when I started fly fishing a few years ago and they have had it. I am looking for a good pair that will cut on the first try. Preferably with and eye cleaner on it also. Any recommendations ?

I stopped using nippers a little while ago. In my opinion, they're worthless. Do yourself a favor, just buy a not so expensive set of tying scissors and strap them on your vest. They will cut on the first time, every time. Plus, they're much more versatile.

Also, about the eye cleaner, just use the point of another hook. It's always worked for me.

Used to buy $8/$10 nippers all of which dulled or were lost.

Now I just go to the dollar store and buy five 99 cent nail clippers and put one on my lanyard, throw a few in my tackle bag or in my wader pocket.

They cut fine.

Of course the don't have the eye poker but I make do.

I have a couple nice pair of nippers that were given to me; because I wouldn't spend $20 bucks on nippers.

The cheapo nail clippers are a good idea.

I also have a bunch of the $4 ones.

However, I just use my teeth for tippet and another hook point to clear the eyes.

I like the hemostats that have a set of scissor blades built in behind the jaws. Eliminates the need for two tools and the blades last longer than the ones on nippers since they are sturdier and cut better since you can put way more pressure on them via the hemo's. They don't cut quite as close to the knot as nippers but do a good enough job for me.

They are also very cheap, I got mine for like $2. Ebay, flee markets, even fly shops have them that cheap if you stay away from name brands.

And I have never accidentally cut anything while trying to use the hemo portion of the tool, by the way. (For those who wonder and worry about that sort of thing.)

Kev

I'm retired my first set of nippers this year because I didn't want to lose it, it's the nicer tyefast and I've never seen another. I fear losing it because I can't tie a nailknot without it.

It did come with instructions on sharpening it, though. Hold it flat against the stone and go back and forth.

The cheapies I replaced it with work just fine, including the I set I found in a parking lot, makes me wonder what you people are cutting that wears em out.

Also have a hemo/scissors combo; great hemo PITA scissors. The nippers are just way more convient.

Back