New 5 wt 11 foot switch rod. What a streamer rod!

B

brookiesofpa

Just thought I would throw in some info about a new rod I bought. It is a Deer creek series made by TFO 11 foot 5 weight switch rod. I purchased it for fishing medium to larger creeks/ rivers for trout and small mouth bass. The rods power would be comparable to a 8 or 9 weight but with a scandi line will present flys as softly as a 6 wt. The rod will throw some heaver flys such as sculpins/streamers with little effort. It is a two handed rod that can be cast with one hand (not too many times with a heavy 350 grain skagit line). Another good advantage of this rod is you need zero back cast room to throw a 60-80 foot forward cast. It allows me to fish places most cannot due to heavy brush right behind the caster. The rod is a nice deep blue color with copper wraps around the ferrules. I really enjoy castig the scandi line it is very easy to do the skagit line I am still trying to figure it out. The skagit line requires more of a fine tuned casting style to get 80 foot casts. This rod will excell at nymph rigs and streamers. Casting larger drys is not out of the question either. One of the best things is no backcast needed.

Just thought I would share some info.

Ive never heard anything but good stuff about the Deer Creek rods. There are more line choices now than there ever have been for two handed rods. Have fun with it.

turkey wrote:
Ive never heard anything but good stuff about the Deer Creek rods. There are more line choices now than there ever have been for two handed rods. Have fun with it.
So far it has been a nice casting rod once I got the feel of it. With the skagit line your set up to do a spey cast needs to be right on to get a decent cast. The scandi line is much more forgiving. Looking forward to using it on Oil Creek and French....After classes are over. I did catch a LMB yesterday while messing with the rod on a pond. It works great for big wind resistant muddlers and weighted streamers. It will work great for nymphing rigs. A little heavy for single haded stuff but will toss heavy nymphs/splitshot and indi as far as ya want to.

Back