Nets: How often do you use them?

chstrcntyfish

chstrcntyfish

When ever I carry a net I always seem to want to use it. How often do you guys use your net? Is it quicker to release a fish with or without a one?

I only use it when the fish is tough to land. If I'm in a heavy current and can't get the fish to shallow slower water, I use one. If I'm fishing from the bank, hardly ever. It's easier and better for the fish to cradle it in the shallows and slide the hook out.

I too use mine if the fish is difficult to land. I also use mine if the fish is fighting hard and I can't settle it down to grab the fly.
I now fish all barbless, not becuase it does less harm to teh fish, but because it is easier to slide out with the use of a net and that includes sliding out of the net (I hate when my flies get stuck in my net)
I also use it for most of the wild brown trout I catch because I like to take a good look at the fish before I release it. I like to pay homage to this beatiful trout.

I took a net for brook trout before, but stopped this becuase the fish get real spastic in the net and loose too much slime, and get all tangled up.

I never use one and every time I need one I regret that I don't have one.

I use a rubber coated net all the time, even with small fish on small streams. Hooks don't get caught because of rubber coating and I don't even touch the fish much while unhooking the. The fish stay sumerged in water except for when I take a brief picture occassionally.

Bought a net last year and never seem to carry it much.

I carry a large rubber coated net anytime I feel there is a possibility of landing a large fish. I rarely use it, but I like the piece of mind of having it just in case. The rubber coating really helps with the problem of hooks getting tangled-up/snagged in the net.

I finally carry a net all the time. After many years of believing that I was able to handle fish and unhook, release them well I finally broke down and bought the $20.00 magnetic holder/release gadget. It is worth every penny. I have had nets for years and found inadequate ways of carrying them each year to the point I quit. I couldn't bring myself to spend the money but finally last year at the Jam I did. I am glad I did. ANything over 12" I now net and find releasing them much more efficiently. And I find carrying the net to be almost transparent.

Get the magnetic net release.

Maurice

Agreed on the magnetic release. The thing is rock solid, and real convenient.

I would but I'd be the guy that gets it caught on the tree branch..stretches it out ...and has it come flying back into the back of my head knocking me unconscious and ruining a perfectly good day of fishing...but I do own one.

tomgamber wrote:
I would but I'd be the guy that gets it caught on the tree branch..stretches it out ...and has it come flying back into the back of my head knocking me unconscious and ruining a perfectly good day of fishing...but I do own one.

Tom,

The beauty of the mag release is that when the net catches on a bramble or branch you feel it release because of the strength of the magnet before it stretches and wacks ya.

Yet another positive attribute.

I was the king of the thud in the back when I just hooked the cord to the D-ring.

I only carry a net on two occasions. If I feel I could get into something big or if I intend to keep something that particular day. Otherwise it's just something else for me to remember to bring.

Tom,
I use to get whacked more by looping the elastic string around my waders. Plus it was a little embarrassing becuase it always poked my in my rectum. Not the feeling I want to get when I'm feeling manly hiking and fishing. (I'm not the only one, it happenes to my friends too).

I broke down and purchased a magnetic release. Maurice is right, well worth the money. Now there is no more unwanted touching and probing from my net handle.

My suggestion, if it's a money issue, get a cheap net and the expensive magnetic release. Of course I've been eyeing up those rubber nets.

I just bought a magnetic net release and a nice small net from orvis because my old one was always too big so I would never carry it, plus the elastic cord method wasn't working out. My new one is only 17 inches long(from one end to the other) It fits good on my back. If I think I'll need a bigger net I can just take my old one instead.

1)Brodin trout net.
2)Upper brim magnet release, so that broad portion of the net lies between shoulders.
3)Simms wet wading hiking shoes/boots
4)Simms wet wading neoprene knee highs that can be quickly pulled down over laces or pulled up for portage.
5)Quick drying pants, ultra light pants with secure pockets.
6)Walnut wading staff with brass tip.
7)Light weight safari shirt.

8) Pith helmet, an absolute must for thick Clark creek, piney like under growth. The helmet should be soaked in creek for head cooling effect...

I have a 12 foot cast net I use when ever the WCO isn't around..does that count.... :-D

Oh and Matt, so that was you running around on Lycoming creek gettin probed by your handle last year Huh!! :-o :-o

Between that and your trout harassing dog, I don't know how you ever got accepted by the FF community. You are a genuine heretic, sandfly. :p

Oh and Matt, so that was you running around on Lycoming creek gettin probed by your handle last year Huh!! :-o :-o

Bob, did you truely run into me on Lycoming last year, or at least someone as unfortunate as me?

I carried a net all the time and used it for a good portion of the trout I landed... even lil'uns. The nice thing about a C&R net is that you can hold the trout in the soft material and not worry about wiping off the fish slime.

It also balances out the weight of my chest box so the harness doesn't end up bunched up at the base of my neck.

For just about any fish over 8 inches on wild trout streams. I depends on how easy it is to just shake of a fish.

Back