Need to get a new fishing vest!

P

pennsadventures

I am in the market to get a new vest. I wetwade alot and need soemthing that will hold up. Right now i am getting a new vest every two years and was wondering if i spend alittle more money would i be better off and not have to buy one as often. Wet wading is tearing these things up! Does anyone else wetwade alot and have good luck with there vest? Really don't want to spend more than 150 on the vest!

Get a pack instead their so much better than a vest .
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/rucksack.html

I didn't like my vest, it was hot and annoying. I didn't want a chest pack, they look awkard and would absolutely annoy me..

Orvis sling pack.

I don't carry alot, so it works for me. Clip a net and staff on my wading belt, and I'm good.

This winter, I loaded the same stuff from my bag into my old vest thinking it'd be nice when its chilly in the spring, and it felt far heavier in the vest than it does in the bag.

Adding the accessories to my belt is even more appealing, perhaps someday I'll cut my load down enough to do this instead.

i already own a few chest packs...i don't take the pack wet wading because i don't want to get the stuff wet in there. this is for all of my other fishing which is for smallmouth and stuff in the summer...

I have the filson foul weather strap vest and will forever. I really like it. You may be interested in the basic strap vest, I think it is a little cheaper. These vests are made in the U.S.A. and are awesome. It will be the best $150 you spend.

Filson strap vest

I'll second Fredrick's recommendation. I just got the rucksack with vest from Allen and Company and I love it. You have the option of wearing the vest without the rucksack which would suit your needs. It is high quality equipment at a great low price.

Wow, I was going to look into getting a fishpond vest/backpack combo.. But, the Allen ones are like half the price.. Thanks Fredrick

I bought a nice vest from Cabella's , i've had it at least 10 years , it has 170lbs of stuff in it , some of which i probably used only a couple times , my 2 best fishin' buddies both have packs , when they pick my vest up they just laugh. Over the years i cleaned it out from time to time , tried to slim it down some , i've been meaning for years to get a pack but old habits die hard , i have a mental condition "skunkaphobia" it's the fear of not having what i "need" when i'm out fishin and they're biting.

I used an Orvis chest pack for a number of years and was never really happy with it, didn't seem to have enough pockets or sections to be very organized. I switched back to a William Joseph vest and it's better for me than the pack. I'm still not 100% happy with the way I'm organized but more than with the pack.
When I fish for smallmouth I have a small WJ pack that I do like, but I really don't carry much gear for smallmouth.

I just get whatever Walmart has for $10.... as long as it has pockets it works for me!!

I go vestless these days. Chest box. It works well.

The box holds all my flies and leaders, as well as floatant.

Forceps clipped onto the straps. Nippers, leader straightener, and thermometer attached to zingers fastened to the straps.

Waste pouch or waders chest pouch holds tippet, shot, etc. Usually use just the wader pouch, unless its a longer day where I'm hiking a ways, then I carry a hunting fanny so I can add drink, food, bug repellent, etc.

Velcro on the front of box holds my camera, if I carry it.

Keys are the problem. I try to wear pants with a sealable pocket under the waders for that.

I just got a Cloudveil Nunya vest and I love it. It is a bit more than you wanted to spend though. Lots of room for fly boxes and has a dessicant and floatant holders. Also a special pocket with a velcro loop to hold discarded tippet until you can properly dispose of it. I also like that it has a hydration system built in....just add the bladder. There is a short video describing the vest on Cloudveils website.

anyone tried the Simms vests? (not my auction for the record)

they look really nice. i tried one on at Cabelas and it seemed comfortable and there's a mesh version for hot days. it also seemed like it would stay put. i have a traditional Orvis vest and with weight in it, it doesn't stay put well.

Vests and chest packs are my main nemesis when it comes to fly fishing, I had the same problem with bow quivers for my recurve and longbow over the years until I discovered the Great Northern bow quiver. I like the Allen pack very much but I've found one that I've used for the last two seasons that was bought at Gander and sold under their namesake that is simply an open backpack (no interior pockets to lose things in and the most simplistic chest pack I've ever run across). The best part was that it was only $40 and it has water proof zippers, water resistant shell, just enough loops and d-rings, a water bottle holder and mesh leader pockets on the chest pack. Over all, a simple, cheap and well made system that I use for trout fishing, kayak fishing and warm water fishing. I like the fact that there are very few of those little zippered and velcro pockets and hidey holes that some of these companies come up with that I just mis-place things in and forget I have when I'm on the water. I hope you find what your looking for!

JA

Back