Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Need stream advice on a hit-n-run trip back to PA

From Fairborn, OH
After nearly 40 years as the chief news photographer for WPVI-TV 6 in Philly, my dad is retiring this coming April. That means I get to come home for a surprise party.

It also means I have a day - April 12 - to kill and remain in hiding until we surprise him the next afternoon...

...which, of course, means that I have a spare day to sneak in a fishing trip! I have every intention of doing so.

I'll be in Blue Bell, PA in Montgomery county, just outside of Philly and can travel about 2 hours out feasibly to fish any stream available. Where would you guys go if you had the choice?

-At the cutting edge of my travel distance, I'm considering the Letort, just because it's well-known and I have never fished it. My big concern (aside from the fact that fickle Spring weather could kill the whole idea) is that this is going to be a Saturday. Not knowing much, I'd expect the water to be fairly busy and I'm a spoiled brat when it comes to having virtually a whole stretch of river to myself. I'd LIKE some solitude, but if the fishing is good, I can deal.

-If there's a legit, Class A brookie stream in my travel radius, tell me about it! I've never caught a brook trout and that needs to change.

At any rate, have it: where do you think I should go? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Doh! I meant to put this in the Fly Fishing Locations forum, but somehow ended up here by accident. Mods, please move this whenever you can.

Posted on: 3/12 16:25

Re: Need stream advice on a hit-n-run trip back to PA

If I didn't like fishing around people, and I don't, I would not recommend the popular CV streams.

I don't have any experience on any streams closer to Philly.

Posted on: 3/12 16:45
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From SEPA
SEPA regional opening day is 3/29.
The rest of the state opens on 4/12.

There will be no solitude for you anywhere.

Posted on: 3/12 17:33

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Well, solitude on bookies streams is very achievable, and any in-store water won't be totally crazy.

Posted on: 3/12 20:05

From Fairborn, OH
Quote:

gfen wrote:
SEPA regional opening day is 3/29.
The rest of the state opens on 4/12.

There will be no solitude for you anywhere.

In my short time fly fishing, I've found that there are very few stream crowding issues that can't be fixed by "wet wading" fully nude.

Scratch that: you'll definitely still want boots on.

Posted on: 3/12 21:11

From Chadds Ford, PA
Check your PM.

Posted on: 3/12 21:17

From Fairborn, OH
Thanks for the info, guys. I know this will be a high-demand time period and the weather could be a potential deal-breaker, but when I'm coming to PA anyway, well, it goes without saying that I gotta try. Besides, since I'm moving to Ohio, I need to get my non-res PA fishing license anyway.

Posted on: 3/12 21:43

From Bucks County
Crappy weather could be the deal clincher. If its a nice steady rain with temps in the low forties you may find solitude on some of the streams that had a 3/29 opener.

Posted on: 3/25 8:25

From Granville
Find a Class A water within your range of places and you will have plenty of solitude. Other fishermen that don't take fishing very seriously will see you over there and say, "Hey, look at that dipshit over there fishing that stream. They don't even put any trout in it." And then they will continue to drive to the streams that are stocked and most likely much more crowded. I find that solitude is very attainable, just look for some good Class A water and everyone else will be on stocked water.

Posted on: 3/25 22:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com