Need some wadders and boots. My son is joining me for the Steelhead Jam.

GonnaFlyNow

GonnaFlyNow

My son is heading up with me to the jam next weekend. I need to get him waders and boots. He is 16. I am wondering what I should get him. I am thing about encounters from Orvis. Yeah not much notice and I am hoping he using the gear more than once.

Any ideas would be helpful.

I'd check Cabellas. There waders and boots are reasonably priced and the quality is good. IMO Hook up with some of PAFF guys and they will be gald to help getting you on fish.
GG

GG,

Cabela's is on the radar. Unfortunately, it's in WV and I am short on time this week so I might not be able to get down there. I am eyeing a pair of Frogg Toggs® Anura™ 2 Breathable Nylon Stockingfoot Waders at Dick's marked down to $129 from $189. Anyone know this pair or brand?

Cheers,

lestrout,

Size 11. Good thing is so am I. I bought a pair of Patagonia Reo's at Dick's a couple years ago when I went to my first Steelhead jam. Got them on sale for 70 bucks due to Dick's liquidating their fly fishing inventory. Also picked up a pair of Korkers for cheap as well. I am hoping to find a good deal somewhere. Anyway, I might use whatever I get him as a backup if he doesn't get much use out of them. I am hoping he catches on to fly fishing.

All the best,

The last thing I would buy is Frogg Toggs.

My Frogg Togg Hellbenders have been great. The OP is looking for light use or a backup pair. Not really the Simms recipe.

Depending on size you may find a workable set on Sierra Trading Post. fishUSA is also a good site. I also second Cabelas. Been very pleased with both the gear and customer service.

GonnaFlyNow wrote:

My son is heading up with me to the jam next weekend. I need to get him waders and boots. He is 16. I am wondering what I should get him. I am thing about encounters from Orvis. Yeah not much notice and I am hoping he using the gear more than once.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Cabela's is on the radar. Unfortunately, it's in WV and I am short on time this week so I might not be able to get down there. I am eyeing a pair of Frogg Toggs® Anura™ 2 Breathable Nylon Stockingfoot Waders at Dick's marked down to $129 from $189. Anyone know this pair or brand?

The Orvis Encounter waders you mentioned above are decent waders sold at a reasonable and competitive price ($169). Also consider Orvis will stand behind your purchase and repair or replace the waders if you do have any issue with going forward for a reasonable amount time.

Good luck to you and your son on the trip. Dress warm!

I just picked up Cabela's Classic Neoprene Bootfoot waders the other day in a camo pattern. I don't know if you guys are also into waterfowl hunting but this allows you to kill two birds with one stone. Plus, boot foot should keep his feet warmer all winter if he is into fishing. I'll admit that I much prefer breathables but I always try to maintain a pair of neoprenes in my arsenal as well.

They are $160 and obviously there is no need for the purchase of separate boots then.

I finally got the gear squared away. My son made it easy for me. We went to Dick's to get my son's fishing license. My son wanted to try on the Frogg Toggs since we were already there. I wanted him to try the waders at Orvis too. However, it is impossible to get teens to run around shopping for waders. So I bought the Frogg Toggs for $129 down from $189 and picked up a pair of Korkers for $119. The waders fit well and had plenty of pockets for his stuff.

The Frogg Toggs and Korkers held up well in Erie this weekend. The Frogg Toggs also had a hand warmer pocket that came in handy this weekend. This was the worst weather I have ever fished in. I am so happy we kept toasty all weekend!

Cheers,

Back