Need new Brookie rod

evw659

evw659

Hey guys,

After snapping the tip off my cheap Brookie rod via slipping on a rock while attempting to release a snag, I'm in the market for a new one. Im gonna buy a cheap reel and a relatively cheap line, but am looking for a decent rod for

My go-to small stream rod is a 473 graphite II Sage LL with wf 4wt line. Though they're getting up there in price now. I also use a 476 Sage DS2 with a wf 3wt line. This setup is second on my list. Search Ebay for the above rod(s). A 580 DS2 has also served me well. I had a 363 SLT and got rid of it because it was a "one trick pony".

If you're looking for a short rod with too much backbone look at the Cortland Brook series. I swear their 366 was a mislabeled 5wt.

I’m hearing good things about Fenwick Aetos although they are classified as fast action.

I think you want fast action for the punch wouldn’t ya say?

The L L Bean 6'10" 4 wt Pocket Water just might be what you're looking for. Short size for tight spaces, great for roll casting, and punches it out as far as I ever need with a shorter rod. For the next few days you may also get 20% off the regular $200 price.

My favorite Brookie rod, and quite honestly my favorite rod I own is a 6'11 4wt LLBean Streamlight Ultra. Only downside is it's a 2 piece. It's a classic middle of the road med/fast. It's low $100's in price. Not sure they make it in that size anymore, but I know there's a 7'6 4wt in the current lineup.

I also have a 7'6 3wt Redington CT 4 piece that I take on my backpacking trips and when I travel. Med-med/fast-ish and about $150. It's a good rod, and I fish with it as much or more than the Bean due to its packability, but I like the Bean better.

Understand that the St. Croix Imperial is a VERY, VERY fast rod, at the extreme far end of the spectrum on the fast side. One of the fastest I've ever casted. It didn't suit me, but a lot of guys like it. pcray, who I consider one of the best Brookie anglers on the site, I believe uses an Imperial as his Brookie rod. I'm sure it has the punch to make to make tight casts on small streams, just make sure it suits your casting preferences. Depending on your stroke and preferences, you may find a more med/fast or medium action rod has more punch in your hand.

Regardless, a 7'0 - 7'6, 3 or 4 weight is the best overall compromise on length/weight specs for a Brookie rod IMO.

I built a Rainshadow RX6 Blank 6' 6" 2 wt that I really love! I got the blank for $20 and I bet the whole build was around $100 but I went all out with the reel seat. I could easily build a nice one for $60 I bet. The rod really handles nice!

Possibly my favorite fly rod we offer is the ITB 7'6" 3wt rod. I've caught 3" brookies and a couple 5lb bass on it. Nice medium action and casts great. Lifetime guarantee and free shipping. There's a contest going on now that saves 20% and can get you in the running for a free rod too. Every $50 spent gets an entry. https://www.risenfly.com/collections/fly-rods/products/rods

bigjohn58 wrote:
I built a Rainshadow RX6 Blank 6' 6" 2 wt that I really love! I got the blank for $20 and I bet the whole build was around $100 but I went all out with the reel seat. I could easily build a nice one for $60 I bet. The rod really handles nice!

That's the same rod I had decided on after fishing my friends spartan build with cork and slide band reel seat.
I use a $30 Air Cell Supreme 3wt line since I'm fishing water which seldom requires more than 20 ft of line off the tip.

dano wrote:

bigjohn58 wrote:

That's the same rod I had decided on after fishing my friends spartan build with cork and slide band reel seat.
I use a $30 Air Cell Supreme 3wt line since I'm fishing water which seldom requires more than 20 ft of line off the tip.

I also have 3wt on mine (Hook & Hackle brand) as well. Handles very well! Easy to roll cast, flip, or do the bow and arrow style casting with. Throws a nice dry fly also!

My only suggestion is don't buy cheap line! Cheap line will turn a good fly rod into a crappy one in a heartbeat. Get the best line you can and you'd be amazed how much it can improve the feel of whatever rod you choose. (IMHO)

Those Rainshadow RX6 rods / blanks all seem to fish wonderfully.

Pittflyguy wrote:
My only suggestion is don't buy cheap line! Cheap line will turn a good fly rod into a crappy one in a heartbeat. Get the best line you can and you'd be amazed how much it can improve the feel of whatever rod you choose. (IMHO)

I disagree.
The last three cheap lines I purchased were great lines for the rods they accommodate..
Rio Windcutter WF5F for $30 (old stock)
Rio Selective Trout II for $30 (old stock)
Scientific Angler Air Cell Supreme WF3F $35 (couldn't fit a DT on my spool. Not high tech but an excellent taper for the inside 30ft cast for my 2wt. Cast similar to the 444).

Expensive:
Rio Trout LT WF4F (inTouch) $85
I hate this line. Garbage.

Dano,

What you are referencing are actually late model quality fly lines. Very different discussion from "cheap" lines that started out cheap because they aren't very good. What you have listed are good lines that have been discounted due to newer models comeing out.

Not to split hairs but I think we are talking about two different things.

Back