Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Need help on a new rod.

From Cambria County
So I have haven't been fly fishing very long. I started on a borrowed Scientific Angler 5 weight to see how I'd like it. As with most of you, after my first fish, I immediately fell in love with the sport. Before fly fishing, I was a pretty accomplished spin fisherman, but I felt I needed a change. I searched high and low for a decent used rod, and finally settled on a Redington RS-3 I found on craigslist for $125. I fished it at least twice a week all summer long. This past weekend I went out to DHALO area on Yellow Creek and it happened. The eyes on my rod were freezing every few casts and while cleaning them out, I somehow tweaked the tip enough and SNAP. I figure there was a crack or abrasion there and it just had enough. Now I'm without a rod and on the hit for a replacement. I've narrowed it down to a few rods and am looking for some input. I'm not looking to break the bank. I'm a novice and don't think I could tell the difference between a 200 dollar rod and an 800 dollar rod. So my options are;
1. Echo carbon 5 wt
2. Allen ATS 4 or 5 wt
3. Cabelas LSi 5wt
4. R.L. Winston Passport 4 or 5 wt
5. TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse 4 wt
Anybody fish these rods? Reviews all seem pretty good on them. I'm kind of leaning toward the Echo, but they all seem like pretty decent low end rods. I fish mostly small streams and occasionally the Little Juniata or Yellow Creek. Just too many choices and too little cash flow.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 23:46

Re: Need help on a new rod.

From Morrisville
If you can try and get to the shows and cast them or a shop. Can't help with any of the rods you mentioned by each probably had a following.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 1:23

From Harrisburg
Dear Railking,

You may also want to contact Redington regarding getting your rod repaired. If the price is reasonable enough it might worth your while to have it as a spare.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/1/21 6:34
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Cambria County
I planned on getting it fixed and keeping it as a backup. Maybe use it for fishing the bigger streams and get a new 3-4 WT for the tighter streams. This is just a perfect opportunity to buy a new rod without my better half getting mad at me for buying more fishing "junk."

Posted on: 2013/1/21 7:34

From State College PA
seems to me you are ready for the next level up for a rod (if your budget permits). Most of the rods you mentioned are still entry level rods IMO. You may think you won't know the difference between a 200 and 800 now, but in a year you will.
Rods in the 3-400 price range typically have all the blank you need, but perhaps the hardware and finish isn't top notch.
Look for a SAGE VXP (high end) or the better St Croix rods (lower end)

Not a fan of Orvis rods, but the access might be worth taking a look at too.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 8:13

From Christiana, Delaware
This rod review was posted in another post last year, maybe it will help:
http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyR ... endEliteTempleforkBVK.asp

Posted on: 2013/1/21 8:17

From Cambria County
I did check out that Orvis Access. They're nice but the combo is running about $555.00. That's a bit steep for me. I want to go with a combo so I can set up that RS-3 for a backup rod. My better half got me a 5-6 redington rise reel for Christmas this year. While I like it, it seems a bit heavy compared to other 5 weight reels. At cabelas, you can pretty much make any rod a combo. Anybody use their higher end cabelas branded reel, I think the model is WLx?

Posted on: 2013/1/21 9:14

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Passport, I own one, and every person I know that owns one loves it. I have a 4 Wr and can do everything with it. Up until recently it was my dry fly rod for the Delaware and its big fish.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 10:25

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Cambria County
Awesome. I think I'm gonna go with the passport. Some of the reviews were saying its a good rod but has a bit of a low end feel to it for a winston. A few years down the road I might move to a better rod, but I think the Passport should do me good still being pretty novice. I love Orvis rods but I can't justify spending 600 or more on a fly rod at this point.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 10:34

From Chester County
Quote:

Railking wrote:
Awesome. I think I'm gonna go with the passport. Some of the reviews were saying its a good rod but has a bit of a low end feel to it for a winston. A few years down the road I might move to a better rod, but I think the Passport should do me good still being pretty novice. I love Orvis rods but I can't justify spending 600 or more on a fly rod at this point.

Railking,

Reading reviews is one thing, but rod preferences are really an individual thing. - one man's magic wand is another man's broomstick. I suggest you cast a bunch of rods before you buy to find the rod that casts and fishes best for you.

Here are some choices for entry level rods from the bigger rod manufacturers and their approximate retail price:

Winston Passport - $239
Sage Approach - $295
Orvis Clearwater - $198
St. Croix Imperial - $220

They are all good rods above, in addition, there are a whole bunch more decent rods available from the smaller companies that only import rods.

Good luck in your search.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 11:11

From Cambria County
I unfortunately work on the road and don't have a ton of free time to visit fly shops and test rods. I have cast some Sage rods in the past and for the price, I could take it or leave it really. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Winston Passport 4wt. Went with a whole setup from a fly shop in Ohio. Rod, Lamson Konic reel, and Rio line. Hopefully, I like it. If not, you'll be able to find it in the gear swap section of this site in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the input guys. Quite the helpful bunch you are.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 11:24

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I would buy another one. Actually, I am waiting for them to discontinue the series so I can pick one or two more up at an even lower price.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 11:33

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Chester County
Quote:

Railking wrote:
I unfortunately work on the road and don't have a ton of free time to visit fly shops and test rods. I have cast some Sage rods in the past and for the price, I could take it or leave it really. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Winston Passport 4wt. Went with a whole setup from a fly shop in Ohio. Rod, Lamson Konic reel, and Rio line. Hopefully, I like it. If not, you'll be able to find it in the gear swap section of this site in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the input guys. Quite the helpful bunch you are.

Hopefully you weren't railroaded in buying it!......

Good luck with your new rod, I'm sure it will cast and fish well for you.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 12:05

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Quote:
This is just a perfect opportunity to buy a new rod without my better half getting mad at me for buying more fishing "junk."

why i got rid of all the wives, dont tell me its junk....BANG....in the lake ya go !! 3 out of 5 the others well car crashed...heh..heh..

Posted on: 2013/1/21 14:07

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Garnet Valley, PA
Becker,

what weight passport do you own? I have a 4 but i am currently in the market for a 6 to be used for warm water fishing and nymphing. I am afraid that the passport might be a little limp for that application. Have you tried it in a 6 weight?

Posted on: 2013/1/25 18:05

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com