Need help on a new rod.

Railking

Railking

So I have haven't been fly fishing very long. I started on a borrowed Scientific Angler 5 weight to see how I'd like it. As with most of you, after my first fish, I immediately fell in love with the sport. Before fly fishing, I was a pretty accomplished spin fisherman, but I felt I needed a change. I searched high and low for a decent used rod, and finally settled on a Redington RS-3 I found on craigslist for $125. I fished it at least twice a week all summer long. This past weekend I went out to DHALO area on Yellow Creek and it happened. The eyes on my rod were freezing every few casts and while cleaning them out, I somehow tweaked the tip enough and SNAP. I figure there was a crack or abrasion there and it just had enough. Now I'm without a rod and on the hit for a replacement. I've narrowed it down to a few rods and am looking for some input. I'm not looking to break the bank. I'm a novice and don't think I could tell the difference between a 200 dollar rod and an 800 dollar rod. So my options are;
1. Echo carbon 5 wt
2. Allen ATS 4 or 5 wt
3. Cabelas LSi 5wt
4. R.L. Winston Passport 4 or 5 wt
5. TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse 4 wt
Anybody fish these rods? Reviews all seem pretty good on them. I'm kind of leaning toward the Echo, but they all seem like pretty decent low end rods. I fish mostly small streams and occasionally the Little Juniata or Yellow Creek. Just too many choices and too little cash flow.

If you can try and get to the shows and cast them or a shop. Can't help with any of the rods you mentioned by each probably had a following.

Dear Railking,

You may also want to contact Redington regarding getting your rod repaired. If the price is reasonable enough it might worth your while to have it as a spare.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I planned on getting it fixed and keeping it as a backup. Maybe use it for fishing the bigger streams and get a new 3-4 WT for the tighter streams. This is just a perfect opportunity to buy a new rod without my better half getting mad at me for buying more fishing "junk."

seems to me you are ready for the next level up for a rod (if your budget permits). Most of the rods you mentioned are still entry level rods IMO. You may think you won't know the difference between a 200 and 800 now, but in a year you will.
Rods in the 3-400 price range typically have all the blank you need, but perhaps the hardware and finish isn't top notch.
Look for a SAGE VXP (high end) or the better St Croix rods (lower end)

Not a fan of Orvis rods, but the access might be worth taking a look at too.

This rod review was posted in another post last year, maybe it will help:
http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StCroixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK.asp

I did check out that Orvis Access. They're nice but the combo is running about $555.00. That's a bit steep for me. I want to go with a combo so I can set up that RS-3 for a backup rod. My better half got me a 5-6 redington rise reel for Christmas this year. While I like it, it seems a bit heavy compared to other 5 weight reels. At cabelas, you can pretty much make any rod a combo. Anybody use their higher end cabelas branded reel, I think the model is WLx?

Passport, I own one, and every person I know that owns one loves it. I have a 4 Wr and can do everything with it. Up until recently it was my dry fly rod for the Delaware and its big fish.

Awesome. I think I'm gonna go with the passport. Some of the reviews were saying its a good rod but has a bit of a low end feel to it for a winston. A few years down the road I might move to a better rod, but I think the Passport should do me good still being pretty novice. I love Orvis rods but I can't justify spending 600 or more on a fly rod at this point.

Railking wrote:
Awesome. I think I'm gonna go with the passport. Some of the reviews were saying its a good rod but has a bit of a low end feel to it for a winston. A few years down the road I might move to a better rod, but I think the Passport should do me good still being pretty novice. I love Orvis rods but I can't justify spending 600 or more on a fly rod at this point.

Railking,

Reading reviews is one thing, but rod preferences are really an individual thing. - one man's magic wand is another man's broomstick. I suggest you cast a bunch of rods before you buy to find the rod that casts and fishes best for you.

Here are some choices for entry level rods from the bigger rod manufacturers and their approximate retail price:

Winston Passport - $239
Sage Approach - $295
Orvis Clearwater - $198
St. Croix Imperial - $220

They are all good rods above, in addition, there are a whole bunch more decent rods available from the smaller companies that only import rods.

Good luck in your search.

I unfortunately work on the road and don't have a ton of free time to visit fly shops and test rods. I have cast some Sage rods in the past and for the price, I could take it or leave it really. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Winston Passport 4wt. Went with a whole setup from a fly shop in Ohio. Rod, Lamson Konic reel, and Rio line. Hopefully, I like it. If not, you'll be able to find it in the gear swap section of this site in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the input guys. Quite the helpful bunch you are.

I would buy another one. Actually, I am waiting for them to discontinue the series so I can pick one or two more up at an even lower price.

Railking wrote:
I unfortunately work on the road and don't have a ton of free time to visit fly shops and test rods. I have cast some Sage rods in the past and for the price, I could take it or leave it really. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Winston Passport 4wt. Went with a whole setup from a fly shop in Ohio. Rod, Lamson Konic reel, and Rio line. Hopefully, I like it. If not, you'll be able to find it in the gear swap section of this site in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the input guys. Quite the helpful bunch you are.

Hopefully you weren't railroaded in buying it!......;-) :lol:

Good luck with your new rod, I'm sure it will cast and fish well for you.

This is just a perfect opportunity to buy a new rod without my better half getting mad at me for buying more fishing "junk."

why i got rid of all the wives, dont tell me its junk....BANG....in the lake ya go !! 3 out of 5 the others well car crashed...heh..heh..

Becker,

what weight passport do you own? I have a 4 but i am currently in the market for a 6 to be used for warm water fishing and nymphing. I am afraid that the passport might be a little limp for that application. Have you tried it in a 6 weight?

Mine is a 4 as well. I dunno, I toss articulated streamers with it. Not gracefully, but it gets the job done.

I would not call what I do with them things casting.

Do not throw away the broken one yet! (No warrenty)
My daughter broke the tip off my Renegade and I was able to fix it. I got one of those rod repair kits and now I have an 8'2" 5/6wt fly rod that I use as my secondary on small creeks.
To remove the old Eye tip, heat it up and pull the rod tip point out. If it does not fit the other end you can purchase another eye that may fit better. Cut a small piece of shrink tube 1/2 inch or so, and place it on the usable end. Heat up the glue stick and spin it around the rod shaft. (remember: do not heat up the rod tip to much because it will become brittle.) while the glue is on the shaft you will need to heat it up just a little (just enough to get it gooy) and slide on the eye and let cool (adjust the alignment so that the tip will line up with the other eylets before it completely cools). Bring the shrink tube up to the eye as far as you can and shrink it using a hair dryer.
I have been using my secondary for about 5 years now, with no problem what so ever.

Sage Vantage, lots of shops online have them on sale for around $160. I casted one and the passport and enjoyed the sage more. Flyshopcloseouts.com has echo carbons on clearance for $80, I have never casted one but if I was on a budget thats what I would buy.

Back