My favorite rod

A

atticus

Well,I really did it this weekend.I took a tumble while working my way down a steep bank and broke my favorite fly rod right in half.It was a Sage 7'9" 2wt Graphite 3. I use it 90% of the time.You might not think so but it is very versitile,it will lay down a midge delicately and even cast wooley buggers and nymph rigs. My question is ,if you could only keep one trout rod which one would it be?

I have an old Sage first generation graphite rod. 2 pc 8' 4wt. That would be the one.

Sorry about the loss of your friend. (Not just a rod, but your favorite fishing partner)

I'd have to say it would be my current rod, Cabelas' Prestige 5 weight, nine foot, two piece.

Just used it to catch my first fish on the fly. What better reason to want this one?

Dave

I have an old glass rod that was my fish serious rod. It needs some TLC and I haven't used it for years but don't want anything to happen to it.
As for current rods I don't really have an affinity for any of them. I'd like to have a really nice rod but I consider them tools and haven't developed a love for any of them.

Troutpoop, I only hope you don't develop an affinity for that new hat of yours. :lol:

Sorry about your favorite rod. I only have a few rods but my favorite is by far my new Cortland Brook Series 10ft 4wt.

My favorite rod is my Winston 4wt 9ft Passport. Landed my first Delaware brown up on top. It is my most used rod as well. Weather it is dry fly fishing the Delaware or Lehigh , or nymphing Spring creek. I love it.

I can't do it. I have several favorite flyrods and I won't part with any of them. But if I had to choose just one it would be my Sage "SLT" 9 foot 5 weight 5 piece. It would work almost everywhere except the really small streams. My other favorite is a Sage "TXL" 7 foot 4 weight 3 piece. Those two rods together would cover any water I want to fish. I guess I narrowed it to two and that's the best I can do.

Orvis 8'-6" 4WT T3, I feel your pain, broke my rod while changing the reel seat but it is fixed now.

Mine is my 8' orvis Clearwater II 4wt. I would love to get a Clearwater in 8'6" 2 piece 4wt, that would be the shizzz!

8'6" 4wt SLT

My 15 year old two piece 5wt 8'6 st croix imperial.

7' 5wt Orvis Golden Eagle glass.

My Mom gave it to my Dad for his birthday in 1974, he handed it down to me when I was four or five and I caugh my first fish on it.

I don't use it more than once or twice a year now, but I'd keep it over the whole stack of others no questions asked.

My favorite is my 10+ year old Thomas and Thomas 3 PC, 9' 5wt. I have very few others, but this is my favorite. I hope to add a new T&T rod to the stable sometime soon.

Sage ZXL 9' 5wt. It makes me look like I can cast.

My current fav is a 7'6" Diamondback 4 wt. It does a very nice job with up to 50 ft for drys and even throws unweighted streamers with a little shot well. I can hit pretty much anything I aim it.

But if the water is heavy (high and fast) or I am deep nymphing I gotta have my Scott A2 9' 5wt. No rod does it all.

I have a 3 wt Diamondback at the same length and its a noodle but nice for drys on small streams.

if picking my "favorite' rod, I have a Sage 7'9" 3wt from 1983 or 1984. 4 additional tips and still kicking. Love it.

If I had to pick one rod, it would be a 9' 5wt. I have a St Croix and a Sage. Love them both and probably could pick one if I had a gun held to my head.

My favorite rod would be a toss up between my 9ft 7wt lamiglass g1000 I made. And my echo Ion 10wt. Id have to give the edge to the 10wt.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
I have a 7'9" 2 weight loomis IMX that is my baby for sure. And I would be really down if I lost it.

Anyway, I guess you want to replace it with a good all around rod that can be used most places in PA.

And I would suggest a 8'6'- 5 weight for that. However, if you happen to be another dryfly nut - I would make it a 8'6" -4 weight. That's what I use for the bulk of my fishing

Maurice wrote:
My current fav is a 7'6" Diamondback 4 wt. It does a very nice job with up to 50 ft for drys and even throws unweighted streamers with a little shot well. I can hit pretty much anything I aim it.

But if the water is heavy (high and fast) or I am deep nymphing I gotta have my Scott A2 9' 5wt. No rod does it all.

I have a 3 wt Diamondback at the same length and its a noodle but nice for drys on small streams.

I have a great diamondback rod - it would be my second favorite and it will just huck a stupid amount of line.

Back