Living the dream. Need help

Pontus

Pontus

Well, I've been dreaming about doing it for a while now, and this summer seemed like my last chance for a while, so I did it. I got a job in Montana and will be living, working, and fishing on the Gallatin river for the summer. The problem is my gear situation isn't the best for Montana, and I'm not going to be making a lot of money this summer either. Anyone's opinions on this would be appreciated.

So I have an Echo Carbon 8' 4 wt that I love on the small streams that I fish here often. I snapped it in half somehow on a hook set on an underwater log over the fall. Shipped it in and got the broken section replaced for ~70 bucks round trip. This spring the 3rd guide from the top detached from the rod at some point and is lost. This is decently fishable, but it makes it hard to shoot and control line. I don't want to spend the money to ship this rod in again just to miss the best fishing I'd have with it now and then have it be underpowered and not that useful out west. Other consideration is that I just bought SA Mastery Textured line for it this spring that I really like and would like to take advantage of

My other rod that I fish regularly is an 8'6'' 6 wt Cabela's 3 Forks. It's cheap, the line is cheap. I can cast it fine and fish it fairly often. I've heard a 6 weight is the most versatile rod in Montana, so I expect to use this rod a lot. I'm not sure how much I should worry about the cheap line lasting through the summer. It's the second season on that line.

Then I have 3 rods that were an inheritance that I've never actually fished before. A 6'6'' 5wt Cortland bamboo rod, and 2 hand made old fiber glass rods: a 9' 5 wt and a 9' 6wt.

Ok so here are my options as I see them. Skip here if you don't want to read above

1. Ship in the 8'4 wt, pay 70 bucks, bring that and the 6 wt to Montana and fish only those two. Alternatively, I could see if Echo would be willing to just send me a new tip section.

2. Buy a rod that fills a gap that I'm going to need to fill soon anyway. Either a 9' 4 or 5 wt. I'm wondering if there's something maybe that's a 4/5 that I could fish with the half-size heavy 4 wt line that I could use as a fast rod for dries this summer, and then buy a 5 wt line for it when I have the disposable income and use it for nymphing back here.

3. Spend the money I'd spend on 1 or 2 and spend it on good line for one of the rods I already have. Not sure if I'm gonna want something faster than those glass rods or have more options than just the 8.5' 6wt.

So what do I do here? I'm only going to get to do this once, so I'm willing to spend what I need to to ensure that I do it right. I have reels and spare spools to handle and changes. I also have the money to spend more on this. I would prefer not to, but if anyone feels particularly strongly about an option, cost doesn't have to be a factor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Get a 9' 5 wt. You can always use in on the larger PA streams like Penns, the Little Juniata etc, if you ever make a trip there. Enjoy Montana! I wish I was there!

for Montana, I'd want a nice 7wt also, for throwing big streamers in the wind.

9' 5wt, as previously stated, is all you will need. Then, when you get out there, befriend as many people with a driftboat as possible for your "down time"...:) They'll have the streamer gear and will show you the ropes..

Check the swap forum, ebay and craigslist. Don't worry about going brand new. I second all that was said above. Also tie as many flies as you can right now if you tie. You want to be fishing, not sitting behind a vise while you're out there.

Buy a guide and some thread for just a few dollars and replace the guide yourself. You can certainly make the rod functional even if its not perfect by aesthetic standards.

Since it looks like the fly rod is one of the criteria's to getting the job, you should shop around and purchase a new one instead of continuing to fix the one you mention keeps breaking down. This will probably save you money in the long run. The tasking that is at hand is getting used to the dynamics of a new rod before you get to Montana. Best of luck to you in your new adventure.

Pontus please check your PM

Ditto on the d.i.y. guide repair, I'd fix that rod yourself, or find someone local that can, no need to spend $70 just to replace a guide. And why not take those glass rods along with you? Folks were catching many, many, many trout in Montana loooong before these days of fast graphite sticks, that 6wt should be lots of fun out there.

Back