Lining a New Rod

F

fisherboy3

Got a sweet deal on a Sage GFL 379-2 LL. Any suggestions on what line to match with it? Also, anyone have any history of the rod or the value? Rod seems like it will cast like a dream. Thanks,

Kev

Is it graphite II or graphite III? The graphite III is just a hair slower.

Either way I would use a true-to-weight WF line, not a heavy line like a GPX.

As for value, it's been a while since I bought my LL, but I'd guess $250-$300. I think the 389 LL was the sought after one. I'd check eBay and see what they're selling for.

They are a sweet stick, I just used my 473 LL on Friday, and I forgot how much I like fishing that rod.

Brookie is right on as far as value and line. I'd use cortland 444 peach dt3f.

I have that same rod. Have an old Air-Flo line and a Rio Gold LT. Both work fine.

It is a graphite II. Ill probably put a rio gold on it.

I only paid $100 for it. Cork is a little dirty, whats a good way to clean cork?

Graphite II is just the older version right?

Paper towel dampened with rubbing alcohol. This will take off even a heavy load of crud. Grips can further be restored by a light sanding of 250 grit or finer sandpaper.

Alcohol ain't going to melt your rod instantly, but don't put it back in the tube until any alcohol has fully evaporated.

Graphite II means it's older. 100 bucks is a solid deal. I'd probably leave the cork, but it's up to you. You could probably get it fairly clean with just water and a cloth.

Yes, graphite II's were the older models. I prefer graphite II's over graphite III's when cast side by side.

Edit- I got beat to the answer by moon. I too would leave the cork alone.

Yea I know some of the LLs have gone for big money on ebay, saw a few go for 6-800. So i thought $100 was a steal.

fisherboy3 wrote:
I only paid $100 for it. Cork is a little dirty, whats a good way to clean cork?

Clean gently with your hands and Boraxo soap under warm water. Let dry naturally - it'll look as good as it ever will (minus sanding!)
Mike B

Mr. Clean magic eraser works like magic on the cork. No sanding needed!

Ill try the magic eraser since i have one sitting around. Thanks Andy. See you in Hancock in a few weeks!

Back