Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Line wt debate

From Malvern USA
I would be in heaven if I had a fly rod to match all of my wife's shoes!

Posted on: 2009/3/22 17:17

From Gunpowder River, MD
DT5

Posted on: 2009/3/22 18:56

There are large streamers-than there are really large streamers
lol
1/o muddler marabous weighted -now thats a streamer.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 20:09

From Berryville Virginia
I know it would not be a 3wt. I would go with the 4wt with the two choices. But do not overlook a 5wt.

Joe E

Posted on: 2009/3/23 6:57

From bucks cty
Quote:

albatross wrote:
pete41 wrote Quote:
5-next year3-then7

Yeah, 5, 3, 7, 4, 6, 2, 8. Then there's the whole long/short thing and the fast/slow thing. You could end up with 24 rods before you're comfortable you have everything covered.

I think you are only allowed to carry 14 rods in your bag at one time!

My first choice would be a 5 weight since you can punch thru the wind better and throw weighted streamers. (Also small stream smallies and rock bass.)

Posted on: 2009/3/23 8:05

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
5 wt, hands down. I have 5 rods, and 4 of them are 5 wts, the other is a 7 wt. They do vary a lot in action and especially length though. Its length that gets ya and makes it hard to just use one rod.

Even my brookie stream rod is a 5 wt, in fact I'd like a short 6 for a lot of those streams. The only place the 3's and 4's are nice, IMO, is throwing tiny flies on the medium sized streams, especially the limestoners like the Letort. I like some punch on the brushy mountain streams, need tight loops to get through the brush.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 9:17

Before you buy anything think about the conditions you fish the majority of the time and get a rod that is designed to excel under those condition. There is no such thing as an all-purpose rod that can effectively cover the entire spectrum of fishing conditions.

Using a 9 foot 5 weight as an example, some rod designs are better suited for working in close (< 40 feet) while other rod designs are better suited for distance casting (> 40 feet). Not that the one better suited for in close work can’t throw 60 feet of line when needed (and vice versa) but if the majority of your fishing is done in close, get a high end rod that is designed to excel at those conditions. Trust me, you’ll be much happier in the long run.

For me the majority of my fishing involves casting less than 40 feet . I’ve got an 8 foot 3 weight, an 8 foot 4 weight and a 9 foot 5 weight – all medium action Winston WT models. If I had to keep only 1 rod, it would be the 4 weight, as this rod is the perfect “all-purpose” rod for the majority of conditions that I fish. It handles a moderate amount of wind, it can throw larger flies and it can toss 60 feet of line when needed. The 3 weight is my favorite rod and casts the best of the three but it really doesn’t handle wind or larger wind resistant flies all that well. The 5 weight is a great all around rod and on really windy days or fishing large, heavily weighted streamers, this is the rod I use but overall for the conditions I mostly fish, the 4 weight is the perfect “all-purpose” rod for me.

For high-end rods, try the Winston WT, Biit and Biix models and the Sage Z-Axis and ZXL models. The WT, Biit and ZXL are medium action rods and the Z-Axis and Biix are fast action rods.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 11:09

From Manheim, PA
I've used my 3wt for everything from bigger streams like Pine Creek and Tully trout to Lititz Run monster trout and small freestone wild brookie streams to the Suskie for bass. It has served me well for every purpose and I believe a 3-4 wt in PA is all you'll ever need unless you're going for Steelhead, Salmon, Carp or Muskie. Then you'll need something bigger.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 12:23

From Lehigh Valley
Its not the size fish - its the wind and the size flies you fish.

A 3 wt line on a windy day would be a nightmare...but maybe i just don't know how to cast. I find some windy days, my 4wt makes me frustrated - and that has nothing to do with whether I'm fishing for 6" brookies or 20 inch browns.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 12:56

A 9 foot Sage Z-Axis 3 weight rod with double hauling and throwing tight loops can cut through the wind and in no wind conditions can just about cast the entire line but to me that’s not the traditional purpose of a 3 weight. I think of a 3 weight as more of a medium action rod designed to fish in the 10 to 30 foot range when delicate presentation and protection of fine tippets is required. If you’ve got to cast greater than 30 feet or deal with any amount of wind I just feel you’re better off going to a 4 or 5 weight rod but that’s just my preference.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 14:13

From Bozeman
I fish with lots of weight, so I'd say a 8.5' 5wt.

As for rods in order, I think I went:

5/6, 4, 3, 5, 9, 5, 6

Posted on: 2009/3/23 15:07

From Manheim, PA
I've never had a problem with wind on my 6' 6" 3wt. I've been using a 3 wt for 6 years now. Of course, I've gotten used to what it will do on those days and compensate accordingly. However, let me know how you do with a 40" Muskie on a 3wt. I'd be curious.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 16:16

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

spectorfly wrote:
I've never had a problem with wind on my 6' 6" 3wt. I've been using a 3 wt for 6 years now.

I don't doubt that. From the specific kind of fishing you post about on here you won't deal with wind much. But try making any cast in a stiff headwind standing on a jetty, up to your chest in a wide river or from a boat and you need a little more backbone. I almost always have a big and a little rod with me and I like using the smaller more often especially if I know I'm getting some dry action.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 16:25

Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Quote:

spectorfly wrote:
I've never had a problem with wind on my 6' 6" 3wt. I've been using a 3 wt for 6 years now.

I don't doubt that. From the specific kind of fishing you post about on here you won't deal with wind much. But try making any cast in a stiff headwind standing on a jetty, up to your chest in a wide river or from a boat and you need a little more backbone. I almost always have a big and a little rod with me and I like using the smaller more often especially if I know I'm getting some dry action.

I agree Tom. On really windy days I can see my line arc like a sail on a sailboat. It definitely causes drag in that situation. I could see it not being a factor if you fish wilderness streams with trees all around you. However, I don't fish a lot of wilderness streams......so the three weight only comes out on calm days.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 17:18

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

JustFish wrote:
On really windy days I can see my line arc like a sail on a sailboat. It definitely causes drag in that situation. I could see it not being a factor if you fish wilderness streams with trees all around you.

I'm not talking about a little arc in your line. I'm talking about letting a nice cast fly and then all of a sudden it just stops and falls out of the air as it hits a wall of wind. Or casting north and having your line turn east in mid cast...better keep you head down if you are throwing big heavies when that happens.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 8:56

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com