LL Bean Flywieght II Waders

albatross

albatross

Anyone have experience with these? My Simms L2 waders gave up the ghost this weekend and I'm in need of a replacement. For $60, these Flyweights seem like a no brainer. If they are too light for everyday use, I can take my time researching what I do want to get then I can relegate these to backup duty.

Bean Flyweight Waders

For the price and the Bean guarantee they're pretty tough to beat. I'd have to imagine that given the price and description they would be best suited for warmer wading conditions.

With that said, you could pick these up for a backup set and to get you back on the water until you pick up another set for primary use.

I recently picked up the Orvis Sonic Seams to use in warmer weather, travel waders and as a backup. Mad River Outfitters had a sale on them that I couldn't pass up. There are no stiched seams in these, all laser weld. Love em.

Thanks Jaybo!

My wife didn't like the idea of two pairs of waders, so I did a little more research today and ended up buying a pair of W&J Dry-Namic waders from the North Platte Fly Shop. They had some pretty good bargains.

Greg -

I bought the drynamic waders from sierra trading post a few months ago. They seem to be made very well.
My only problem is that the size large that I ordered - which is what all my other waders have always been - was a little tight. Especially in the ankle sections of the booties. I had a hard time getting them back off of my feet
So I exchanged them for X-large, and they are certainly roomy enough now.

DryFlyGuy wrote
My only problem is that the size ... was a little tight ... Especially in the ankle sections of the booties.

Funny, but I got a call from the shop I ordered from to caution me that the ankles were small and did I still want to order. I told them to ship them and they said I can have a store credit if need to return them. I'll exchange for the Patagonia Watermaster if there is a problem. I'll find out Monday.

Got my drynamics today! I got the XL and they are a little snug around the ankles. Have to work a bit to get them off, but otherwise they fit great. I think I'm going to like them. Never had waders with 5 zippered pockets before. Maybe I'll retire my pack?

albatross wrote:
Got my drynamics today! I got the XL and they are a little snug around the ankles. Have to work a bit to get them off, but otherwise they fit great. I think I'm going to like them. Never had waders with 5 zippered pockets before. Maybe I'll retire my pack?

My simms waders have a ton of pocket space, and I quickly got rid of the pack for most trips. You'll love it.

The Simms g3 is nothing compared to the drynamics as far as storage. But my fat *** fits in xl Simms (barely) and it was not even close to fitting in the wj xl. They say they had a lot of sizing issues with wj drynamics, wished they had xxl as I got them for right around $100 from sierra trading post.

When you tried on the WJ's, did you try them on with the same layering that you'd use when you need the most layers underneath? If they're snug now consider that they'll likely shrink a little bit over time. If it were me, I'd think about something else since they're a snug at the ankles. Just my 2 cents.

On the other hand, if you've tried them and are happy with them, then I hope they work out! Don't want to rain on the parade, it's fun getting new gear!

I picked up a pair from the Bean website. For $49.00 (after free shipping and a $10 gift card) how can you beat it. They also come with gravel guards, a wading belt and a small interior pouch for wallet and keys.

FWIW I am 5'6" and ordered a large pair the ankles are very loose and I could wear 2 layers underneath them for winter fishing.

Back