LL Bean Fly Rod and Reel

Iceman

Iceman

Looking to buy a fly rod and reel from LL Bean. I wasn’t looking for a top of the line outfit something for a beginner that I could use for trout and maybe steelhead. Is a 5 wt a good choice? Also I was debating about the length. I would like it short since its difficult walking in t he woods with a long pole. Thinking about 8’ 6’’ 5wt or 8’ 6wt. Thoughts? BTW my friend said that his son has an LL Bean and he broke it twice and LL Bean replaced it with no questions asked.

Bean's lifetime satisfaction guarantee is essentially unmatched in the outdoor gear industry. To the point it is probably taken advantage of at times. Not saying or implying that's what your buddy was doing as I don’t know the circumstances, but there really are people out there who think it’s reasonable to expect a pair of waders to last a lifetime, and buy a pair of Beans fully intending to cash in on a free pair every time they wear out. That's not right.

Anyway, back to the rod. I have a Bean Streamlight Ultra 6’11 4wt that I use for Brookie fishing. I paid about $100 for it, and it’s my favorite rod to fish with that I own FWIW. You’re clearly in need of a longer, heavier rod for what you’re looking to do though. I’d recommend the 6wt if you want to use it for Steel and normal Trout applications. A 6wt (not the ever-popular 5wt) is the most versatile rod for most PA fishing situations IMO. It’ll chuck decent sized streamers and still deliver fairly small dries with reasonable delicacy. If rod length is a concern when hiking through the woods, get a 4 piece rod. You can break it down to two or 4 sections that way when walking to/from the stream.

I have a buddy who owns a Streamlight Ultra reel, and for $90 or so it's a very nice bar stock reel at a very good price. Haven't bought one yet, but I will be purchasing one prior to next Spring to pair with my rod I fish most of the big Spring time hatches with.

Who manufactures the LL Bean reels?

Redington makes their rods and reels. SA makes their lines.

I have the 8' 6wt. It has it's uses. I mostly use it for smaller warm water applications but I find it hard to cast further distances. It handles smallmouth very well though!

jrmyln wrote:
Redington makes their rods and reels. SA makes their lines.

How are we sure that Redington uses their offshore manufacturing facilities to build Bean's gear? Maybe Bean set up their own agreement with foreign companies. No matter what? I have a #1 Double L reel and it is great for the money. Excellent reel and flawless functioning. I dropped it from about 4 feet onto cement and the reel didn't even have a scratch, btw.

My sons both have 8'5 5 weight Quest outfits- nice casting rods at a good price. Excellent entry level combo, I would definitely recommend.

I decided to purchase the Angler ll outfit 6wt from LL Bean. We have a store here in Pittsburgh and I had the chance to check it out before buying. Can't wait to use it! Thanks for the advice.

I was concerned about tying on tippets since I suck at it and performing this task in the field is beyond my skills at this point. I have a tool to tie the nail knot but I have to practice this to be sure of a tight connection.

I when to a local bait shop and this kid turned me on to these loops that you insert in the fly line and connect with shrink wrap tube. Looks pretty cool and it makes tying the tippet easy. Thoughts?

Iceman wrote:
I decided to purchase the Angler ll outfit 6wt from LL Bean. We have a store here in Pittsburgh and I had the chance to check it out before buying. Can't wait to use it! Thanks for the advice.

I was concerned about tying on tippets since I suck at it and performing this task in the field is beyond my skills at this point. I have a tool to tie the nail knot but I have to practice this to be sure of a tight connection.

I when to a local bait shop and this kid turned me on to these loops that you insert in the fly line and connect with shrink wrap tube. Looks pretty cool and it makes tying the tippet easy. Thoughts?

Very simple: match up the lines (end of leader and tippet) side-by-side, tie two overhand knots with them and trim.

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsjoin/

Give it a try (it aint surgery...lol)

Have you considered tippet rings. I like them and adding tippet is very easy.

Back