LL Bean Boot foot Waders

foxtrapper1972

foxtrapper1972

Received LL Bean Emerger bootfoot waders as a gift. (Yes, I still use bootfoots because of easy on and off...) Unfortunately the fit and quality are not what I would expect for waders costing almost $300.00. The molded rubber boots are misshapen. They do not match. Also the size 12 is more like an 11 even though the website says to order your exact shoe size. The seam between the boot and the upper is also rough.

I know I can return them etc. but I don't think the boots are anywhere near what I would expect from LL Bean. I mainly was interested in them because of the guarantee they offer. Also most of the online reviews were decent. These days spending a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean quality. I'm constantly returning junk to stores lately. Thankfully every place has very lenient return policies.

I've had boot foot Orvis in the past but they no longer carry that particular model.

Wondering if anyone has found a good bootfoot wader?

I've lately been using $50.00 Prolines which I replace every year but though I would upgrade.

Have you tried stockingfoot waders and given them a fair shake?

I say this laughing to myself about the time I watched someone walk around in their stockingfoot waders without boots.

I understand being stuck in your ways though, I'm exactly that way.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
I've lately been using $50.00 Prolines which I replace every year but though I would upgrade.
I've been doing the same for many years, except I'll often replace them the same season! They're really the only cheap ($) boot out there that even resembles being decent. I tear a boot no matter how careful I am, because of the assorted crap I go through. I'd never pay $300 for fishing boots UNLESS they were guaranteed not to rip/tear. I'll stick with the Prolines for now.

Brookie- I have never tried stocking foot. What system do you like?

Hilarious about the person fishing in just the stockingfoots!

wildtrout- I often go through 2 pairs a season...Approx. $100.00 each season x 3 seasons = cost of LL Bean Emergers. Which may not last that long but apparently will be replaced (Although the warranty is a bit vague on that as I read it).

Now I am considering the Orvis boot foots which are on sale for about $200.00

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
(Although the warranty is a bit vague on that as I read it).

My experiences with LL Bean and returns has been great. I had a pair of Emerger II waders that I had torn in a fall. (Did not return them for the tear. Obivously my own fault, not theirs.) But they did seem to be "seeping" in the undamaged leg. I contacted Bean's Customer Service and explained the situation. I was told to return the waders and they would contact me after they received and reviewed them.

A week later, I received a new pair of waders at no charge and an apology for my trouble. I will purchase LL Bean waders again. The next pair of which may be boot foot for the winter months.

Foxtrapper, I have a pair of LL Beam waist high stockingfoots that have been great and are going on 4 years. I believe they offer various size/ foot size options. My boots are currently Orvis, not sure which model though. I'll be due for new boots this spring probably.

Foxtrapper, the best pair of stockingfoots I've personally used have been my Simms G3's.
The left and right feet make the stockingfoots fit like a regular sock. The generic stockingfoots of most companies will bunch up in the boot causing premature leakage and uncomfortable fishing. Also the specific sizing options of the G3's (I have a 47" chest measurement and size 12 foot so sizing becomes difficult with generic sizes) make the wader fit the user better, not allowing short material to become stretched or excess material to rub together causing leaks.
I pair them with Simms Freestone boots with Streamtread and cleanstream (for aquatic hitchhikers). I know Simms is looked down upon by a few, but I have to say, to me, the fishability (I made that word up - the little features you can tell were designed by fly fishers (line don't catch, tool ports where you need them, fit, finish, etc)) makes the difference.

With all that said, the best pair of budget friendly stockingfoots were an old pair of green Hodgeman's. They lasted longer than the Cabela's pair that replaced them. At the time they were $80.

For the $300 you should be able to get into a pair of Simms' Headwaters waders (though I'd recommend the cheapest Gore-Tex series) and Freestone boots. Especially with now being closeout time.

I think I just PCRay'd you. I apologize in advance hahaha!

Thanks for the responses guys.

Brookie-No not at all (pcrayed ha!). I appreciate the response. I am looking into the Simms. I really would not mind spending a little extra at this point because I am fishing a lot more and want something decent.

I've always like a green or olive colored wader because I think they blend in better. I wonder if anyone has an opinion on wader color?

I have been through the same scenario and ended up with the Simms Headwaters stockingfoot. After 4 hard, I mean bushwacking, #censor# sliding, rock climbing hard years and a good patch or two they are still mostly dry. I did break out the spare set I found on clearance when I went steelheading this past month, the water was about 35 degrees and I wanted no seepage at that temperature. Simms gray is a fine color, the color of a steely sky.

I also have the Simms G3's. This will be my 4th season with them and they still are beastly. I really like the 5 layer Gore-Tex in the legs, thick enough that when walking through thorns and bushwacking i dont have to second guess if my waders will rip. Only thing that i noticed though is in the summer because they are a bit thicker, i do sweat a little more. But no biggie.- Kev

Fox,

Boot foot waders may or may not fit very well. If you are doing any walking around in an ill fitting pair, you'll be sorry and blister covered. Getting the correct pair of stocking foot with a propper fitting boot will be night and day when compared to a boot foot wader.

Simms Freestone (non-goretex) 4 layer
Simms Headwaters (goretex) 3 layer
Simms G3 (goretex) 5 layer

I had a pair of their L2's from 15+ years ago. Still use them in hot weather but the 'stank' in them is unbearable and the 2 tubes of aquaseal applied make them uncomfortable to wear. The G3's are 7 seasons deep and still going strong. Best I've ever owned and I still have a spare pair NIB waiting for the old ones to wear out. Pcray was a skeptic but after buying a pair, he'll now admit they are very nice. Jury is still out on how long they'll last him in comparison to $100 waders.

If you plan to use the same wader 12 months a year, you'll want to go try some different sizes on and give yourself some extra room for layering in the winter. I'm pretty frugal (aka cheap azz) and can't believe I spent that much on waders but I'm very glad I did. I would have gone through 3-4 lesser quality pairs over the last 7 years.

I have not owned LL Bean but understand their warranty and customer service is second to none. If you can find some a place to try on some of their stuff, I'd give it a look as well.

I'm with the simms guys. I have a pair of g4s and a pair of g3s in the rotation. They are worth the money to me. I am using chota stl plus boots now and they are decent.

I am starting my seventh season with my Simms "Headwaters" waisthighs. They have never leaked. My boots are Simms "Guide" boots. I am on my second year with those. I wore the first pair of Guides out after five years. The fit is great and I can walk a great deal without any problems. It's like wearing a good pair of hiking boots. If you fish quite a bit the investment in better gear is worth it.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I sent the LL Beans back and I bought Simms bootfoot waders. They fit great and I am really happy with them after going out fishing a few times . Apparently Simms only started making the bootfoots again this year. I like the feel of the material and the features like the zipper pouch etc are nice. they weren't cheap so I hope they hold up. I also purchased a pair of Orvis Endura bootfoot waders for my son and they fit him nicely and seem to be well made. He is a size 13 shoe but the Orvis boots are a 12 and seem just right.
These bootfoots are way nicer than the cheaper brands I've had in the past. The boots are lined and are snug to the foot. I waded the streams all day and hiked back on hard roads and had no problems.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Simms gear.

Back