Korker Metalhead Boot

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Korker MetalHead Boot

Anyone have any info/opinions on these as I have been using an old par of hiking boots. Tried them on this weekend and they were very comfortable. Lacing system has me a lil concerned since I have never seen anything like it b4 but I like the interchangeable soles

Any and all opinions are appreciated

I've got an older version of Korker with interchangeable soles - love 'em.
These are probably better.

I agree with Ramcat. Best, most versatile boot I've owned. Hated spending that much money on a wading boot, but I have been using these for over a couple years with no issues. The metal cleats and the lace system have even held up and I do abuse them. The original Korkers boots sucked. Soles would pop out at the worst time. Velcro would wear out.

Thanks for the opinions

So far all positives, A++ positives at that. For me dropping $159 is no biggie as I dont fish as hard and/or as much as many of you. Extremely comfortable and with all the positives think I will buy them. Thinking I get a good 5+years out of them .. maybe less as the kids get older, become more independent, and I get out more :)

i have two pair of korkers, the metalheads for wader use and an older pair of their shoes for wet wading.
the boots were new this year, the shoes 2-3 years now.
no problems at all with either pair.
i self studded a set of the rubber cleat soles, they are perfect for stream bank, and stream bottom now.

I got the metal heads this year and so far I'm very pleased. Mine came with 2 soles, rubber and studded rubber. I added a 3rd sole to my arsenal, studded felt. Nice to have the versatility to use the sole that makes the most sense for the day of fishing.

Purchased and fished with them for the first time this weekend. Very comfortable but had a problem .. left boot loosened up twice thru the day (was in them for abt 12 hrs). Anyone else who own these boots have a similar problem and a quick fix

Thanks

there is a bit of a trick when putting on the boots
you need to get all the slack out of the lower eyelets

tighten the boots like 75%
then push the tounge forward (like you were taking them off)
re-tighten now that the slack it more towards the top of the boot

do is as much as needed to gte the right fit

I've had 2 pairs of Metalheads fail on me in the past year... The entire sole (not just the inter-changeable bottom) started to just separate from the rest of the boot. Each time, it started on the inside of my foot and worked it's way around to the front and outside.

Korkers will replace them for free (I go through my local shop) however this time I'm going to opt for the Chromes and pay the extra $$$$. The Korkers rep said that's the best solution to the wear and tear problems with the Metalheads. I know a few ppl (including some guys that work in the shop) that have had the same issues with the Metalheads, gone to the Chromes, and been ok.

One other issue, while crossing some pretty gnarly water, the removable sole part (felt + studs) actually started peeling back. They replaced the soles for free, but I have read on some other forums that can be an issue and to just drop some of your own studs in to help secure the rest...

durability issues aside, great boots. Love the dial system, as some one said recently pull all the slack up to the top before you tighten for the final time. Comfy (I wear a size 14 boot, 13 reg shoe). Felt plus studs give some great traction, but the regular rubber soles are ... non existent. Wore them one day on the West Branch, felt like I was sliding in ice, couldn't confidently wade anywhere.

I'm usually in the water ~100 days a year. No, not for 8 hours. Lots of times in the Summer it's just for a couple hours after work. I'm not an overly aggressive wader, but I don't stay tied to the bank either...

the chromes are junk
they have a poorly designed eyelet system... and will most likely fail within 2 or 3 uses... i've seen the fail in 1 day (mine)

i have never heard of a satisfied user of the chromes

also... the reason some poeple see sole failure is due to the size of boots... I'd never recomend them in size 12 or larger
they keep the same spacing and amount o contact points no matter the size of the boot... so in the larger sizes there is more space between the attachment points

I've got the older version, I like them, but I don't use them unless I'm wet wading.

Back