Konic VS Older velocity

bassistjon112

bassistjon112

I just purchased the Konic but found the discontinued Velocity for $20 more than what i paid for the Konic.

The thought that came to my mind was to return the konic and get the Velocity.
With the biggest differences being the hard alox finish, fully machined and just looks 20x times better (reasons why it appeals to me)

Would it be worth it to return the Konic for a fully machined Velocity? If you were me what would you do? Just keep the Konic or return it and snag the Velocity while I can get it for such a low price?

fully machined will hold up to abuse better

Tough choice, Jon. Here's mine:

V1.5 vs Konic 1.5 = V1.5
V1.5 vs Konic 2.0 = Konic 2.0
V2.0 vs Konic 2.0 = V2.0

All that assuming you are using this for a 5wt line. Backing capacity and arbor diameter are the deciding factors vs the finish. If they're both the same size, hard alox wins.

Madison River Fishing Company has the V1.5 for $135, and spools are available too.

Weight could be a factor, too. Will the Velocity still balance with your rod?

Good luck!

If it balances your rod correctly I think it's a no brainer. A fully machined reel with the hard alox finish for an additional 20 bones? I'd be all over it.

bassistjon112 , if you didn't already get the velcoity, i've got a lamson V 1.5 loaded with a sage 4wt QT I might considering selling, let me know a price you think is fair via PM.

Attachments

• SDC11583.JPG
    SDC11583.JPG
    944.7 KB · Views: 2
  • SDC11584.JPG
    SDC11584.JPG
    623.2 KB · Views: 4
How does the Radius compare to the Velocity?

The Radius was a nice reel for the money. It was a fully machined reel with a smaller arbor then the Velocity. I believe Lamson stopped making them a few years back. Definately worth a look if you find some leftovers.

Found a bunch and they're $100 or less. Good deal I'll assume.

They want $160 for the velocity.

The Radius for under $100 sounds like a good deal. I believe they used to go for somewhere around $170 depending on size.

My brother has a Radius 3 on his 7wt and I have a Velocity 3 on mine. Both have been good performing reels.

I tested my Velocity on some Kings in the Salmon River and the drag worked very well fighting those big boys on a 7wt.

If the reels are at a local shop compare the two side by side.

The radius spool is two piece where the new reels are one piece. The guru replaced it with a larger arbor. I'm sure they work awesomely though since my older Velocity looks to be two pieces as well.

To update I'm probably going to keep the Konic, the spools are cheaper(in case I ever get a 6wt rod, no need to buy a new reel then).

Back