Kayak fishing set up

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

I'm in need of hooking up my yak with a rod holder, pull out shelf, paddle holder, anchor and anything else I may be missing for a possible float trip down the big D. I'm looking for a package deal but of course can't seem to find one at this time. Any help would be appreciated. FYI I own a Pungo 12' sit in.

I know two people that have the Pungo. Nice kayak. I have an Old Town Dirigo myself. Anyway, you can mount a rod holder right into the removable dash that comes with that boat. EMS has them for like $20. They work well and are removable from the permanent clamp if you need to take it off. They also have anchor systems which I rigged up on my boat, but I have yet to use it. For the paddle I would just get a leash. That is all you need if you should flip over or just drop the paddle you won't lose it. I think you should be able to get all three for under $50.

Or.... sell it and get a Clackacraft driftboat for $9000. Just a thought.

You can make your money back giving me driftboat trips down the Lehigh and Delaware. I'll pay you $20.

The upside is you don't have to pack me a lunch, the downside is you're doing all the work so you'd better get practicing.

First I gotta say I hate jerry rigged contraptions the fail at the damnedest times.

This is what I found so far:

http://www.shopgetoutdoors.com/kayak_fishing/angler_kit.html

EMS had almost an identical kit a few years ago for less.

gfen,

He'll take you in the drift boat for $20 a pop but it's only on the LL in the Heritage section. Bring a short rod!

LL,
All you need is a cleat to hold the anchor rope. If there's a handle on your yak, that should be good enough. I have a spare anchor you can use. I think it's only 2-3 lbs but is good enough to hold your boat in the shallows. Bunjee a small duffle or backpack on the rear of your boat. Leave a zipper open and presto... rod holder. Don't waste any $$ until you see if it's your cup of tea or not. You are welcome to try/use my spare pontoon boat. Just help me load/unload and break it down (+ 2 lagers). Either of those options are cheaper than $90!

attached is a photo for no reason at all.

Attachments

• sign.JPG
    sign.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 4
First off, wanted to say hello from Butler County. I have been reading for a while and finally decided to join. It seems like a great forum compared to many out there - I have learned a lot already and hopefully I can add things as time goes on.

I have the same yak and have been slowly modifying it. I have added four flush mount rod holders (Scotty, berkley, etc.) on all the corners of the cockpit. They work great for nets and spare rods. For the anchor, a cleat is all you need as long as you aren't look to hold in serious current. And I just use a paddle leash - any rope or strap will work great. Total cost around $50 or so for a couple rod holders and a cleat.

LL,

While buying the "package deal" may seem nice, I've found that the parts are either not needed or aren't the right fit for your needs. I have a SOT kayak and am glad I didn't buy an outfitting kit 'cause I discovered that there is no good place to mount paddle holders on my yak. There is a paddle slot, so I just mounted a hook (a nylon pad eye cut in half) and a loop of bungee cord too hold it in place.

As for the anchor, use it in still water only, as it could get caught up in current, which can have dire consequences. My anchor (used only in still waters) is two 2 foot sections of heavy link chain, covered with bike tire tubes (to help with noise and to prevent snagging in submerged brush). I use a retractable dog leash as my anchor line so I don't have to deal with a pile of rope in my lap.

I'd suggest you fish out of it for a while to decide where you'd like things like rod holders, anchor cleat, etc. Most hardware is mounted with either screws or rivets, and though some can be removed, your then left with filling in the hole :-( Be watchful of where your fly line hangs and try not to mount anything there so you can avoid it catching on things.

Here's a good site for buying hardware and such.
http://kayakfishinggear.com/index.aspx

Enjoy your Pungo. It's a great kayak.

peace-tony c.

I had talked him into bringing the yak up to the Delaware to give it a try and see if he liked fishing bigger water. The anchor would be to hold the boat in the shallows while he got out and wade fished. You can use my spare pontoon so don't buy anything. After you fish there, see if it's something that interests you in altering you yak.

Just a FYI, if you can swing this... it's only an hour more to reach the steelhead water in Oct / Dec. Start grooming the wifey now!!

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
He'll take you in the drift boat for $20 a pop but it's only on the LL in the Heritage section. Bring a short rod!

I'll up it to $25 if we can take in the scenic Lehigh Canal, too.

Y'know, the rules say no wading, but they don't say anything about floating... I wonder what would happen if you anchored a drift boat in the middle of the kiddie pool?

Back