In praise of inexpensive rods

JG63

JG63

Yeah I know they're made in China. Most entry level rods come from the same factories with different logos for brand loyalty. I've really come to prefer Bass Pro White River Classic, 270, and even Hobbs Creek series. Allen Compass series is nice for the money, as is TFO products. I have a nice group of rods 5.5 - 10 foot length in weights from 3 - 8 ALL FOR LESS THAN A "premium" Rod from the major players. The fish don't seem to mind either.

I agree that there are some bargains out there. I recently bought a 5'9" 3 wt LL Bean streamlight rod, $100 with a nice case. it's a good caster for my tiny-stream application and a fine value imho...

have also bagged some older cabelas PT and FT rods on ebay for < $100. these are nice fast-action rods, were made in the US, and they seem to be good rods that sell at a reasonable price.

I love my Winston Passport 590-4 that I got for like $120 on clearance. It's a great rod. That and my Orvis Hydros 865-4 are my favorites.

Eagle Claw Granger XG Im7 39.99 5wt 8.6 not a softy but good feel abd action.

IDK if this rod qualifies as inexpensive... But I recently replaced my bass rod which I hated with a TFO BVK 9ft 7wt and i love it!

Like the theme of this thread.

Remember - One man's cheap is another man's expensive. ;-)

What is a cheap rod that has an action similar to a Sage RPL+ (a rod from the 1990s) Particularly a 9 ft, 5 wt.

Also, what is a cheap rod similar to a Loomis Trilogy?

Particularly a 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt. I cast a friend's and really liked it for small stream fishing.

There is a fine line between those who shop smart and those who are reverse gear snobs.

Buying gear that is priced at either end of the spectrum usually isn't very wise IMO. It's either a waste of money, or junk. In the case of buying junk, it's also often a waste of money.

$150, and only a 9ft 4wt available, but for the $ this may be nice:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain-cave/fly-fishing/rods-reels-line%7C/pc/105591780/c/105763680/sc/105764580/st-croix-legend-ultra-fly-rod/1915291.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frods-reels-line%2F_%2FN-1102797%2FNo-48%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTpageType%3Dindex%253B%252BLNcat105691680%253Bcat105633180%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D48

Whoops now sold out

cabelas bargain cave, as of tues AM, has 9' 6wt LSI rod for $49... I have one of the previous version of these rods, called LST and for the money this might be good....

the cabela LSI rods at < $50 sold out in a day... I bought a 9' 5wt w/ echo ion reel and a sci anglers GPX line, about $100 total, to try some warm water fishing...

I was down at Cabelas earlier this week, they had some great deals on rods. I got my son trl for $55. I'm not sure what make of a rod, but they had a $399 rod for $100. Lots of sales right now.
On a side note, they had mustad hooks $1.88 for a 50 pack. Let's just say there isn't many packs of hooks left.

I would considea all of my rods as "cheap" yet very capable fly rods. Eagle Claw Featherlight may be the best value in fly fishing IMO. Just like an Okuma Sierra is a very capable cheap reel. I've never paid more than $150 for a rod and most cost me half of that. Cabela's rods are unbelievable value when they go on sale. I mean, a 3 Forks for $30? My CGR cost me $60? Those are extremely good values in my opinion.

I don't know much about the cabelas rods but with the sale and missing out on some sales because I waited to long, I was still able to pick up a 9' 8wt and 9' 6wt TLR at $55 a piece and an 8'6" traditional 3 that was $24. I hope they are as good as you guys say but it's hard to go wrong at those prices. I am excited to have the ability to do more fishing for other species without breaking the bank. Now to find line and reels at those kind of deals.

Back