In need of a 3 wt rod for a sharp new reel...

MathFish

MathFish

I have been eyeing up the Gary Borger 2/3 wt reel for sale at "TheFlyShop.com" for a little over a year now. It has been posted for sale for $189 and just recently it went on sale for $89 - so I decided to buy it. I really thought it was really sharp looking reel in the pictures online, but in person it is even more so. It has a darker tint to the silver than the online pictures show. It is very smooth spinning and completely silent. The only thing that I'm not too pleased with is the drag. It doesn't really tighten up too much, but the drag will be plenty tight for the fishing I intend to do, but for sure there are cheaper reels with better drags.

Now, I want to get a 3 wt rod to pair up with this reel. I don't want to really spend over $200 for a rod though. I have been looking at the:
TFO Pro II ($159 the 3 wt comes in 7'6" and 8'6") and also at the
TFO Finesse ($189 the 3 wt comes in 7'9" and 8'9")

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two models? Or, does anyone have another recommended manufacturer?

I prefer medium to medium fast action rods, I primarily nymph fish, but I do tie on dries when I see rises. I'll be using this setup in smaller creeks, but not in in areas that would require belly-crawling under rhododendrons...

I've attached some photos of the reel. I really like the scalloped edge of the spool and the push button spool release.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Attachments

• G Borger reel 1 R.png
    G Borger reel 1 R.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 2
  • G Borger reel 2 R.png
    G Borger reel 2 R.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 2
I have the 7'-9" 3 weight Finesse. Of the 30 rods I own it may be the slowest, and I have a lot of slow action rods. But it is a wonderful casting rod, and makes very delicate roll casts. It has no spine, and a small fish feels like a big fish. Don't think I would recommend it as a nymph rod. Never casted the 8'-9" Finesse. If you can find a store that has one, cast it. Or, you could try casting the 7'-9" 4 weight with a 3 weight line and see how it feels. In any case, I always recommend casting a rod before you buy it.

I really like my 7' 6" Classic Trout from Redington. Cheaper than what you're looking at, but a very nice rod. It's a moderate action, very sensative, very light rod. It's my go to for small streams, but I have put down some big fish with it as well. It throws dries amazingly well with the right line, and nymphs as well as it should (I'm normally nymphing with a 10' 3wt so hard to compare). The TFO rods are very nice, my dad has one of the left kreh and I like the rod, but I do prefer my redington. I haven't had a chance to cast a finese, but I am sure they are fine rods as well.

I have that reel in the 4/5 weight. I use it with a Gary Borger light touch rod or a Loop evotec.

The Borger rod and that reel were meant for each other.

Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't realize that the finesse was such a slow action rod, I thought it was more med-fast, but I trust your judgement Outsider. I never considered Redington as an option, but I'll look into it a little more. As for the Borger light touch rod, I can't seem to find any available for sale, I would imagine that they would work together well. I have a LOOP opti-nymph 5wt that I've fished for about two seasons now and I love it! But I don't want to spend that kind of money for the 3wt...

I cam across a deal for an Echo Edge 3wt (7' 8"") that I am now considering now too.

Thanks again.

Thanks again for the input.

Ultimately, I came across a good deal for the Echo Edge at Backcountry.com it was marked $100 off and after doing some internet research on this model, the price of it, and free 2 day shipping, I went for it...

The rod was on my doorstep today, I cast it in my backyard and it has a smooth feel to it but with a backbone to boot. I'm really looking forward to get this on the water and I can't wait to see how it plays a fish!

I noticed something that I thought was a bit unusual on the rod though. The hook keeper is not on the underside of the rod. Its on the left side of the rod... I haven't seen this on any rod before and I was wondering if it's a mistake or was done by design.

By design. Most people are right handed, and it is the natural position for a right handed person. Several of my rods have the keeper eye in that position, but I am left handed.

Back