Ideal western dry fly rod

sundrunk

sundrunk

In the market for a western rod..Back east I prefer softer boo and glass actions, on the shorter side. I have come to the conclusion, after my trip to norcal this Summer, that I need a longer rod for western waters..I suppose I'll have to settle on a grafite rod; a reality I am not happy with, but except..

Not looking to break the bank..Thinking 4 piece rod with med, slow action..Any one have any thoughts they want to share?

Thanks

whats not breaking the bank? If you can afford it Orvis hydros 9ft 4wt mid flex.....I fished my 9ft 4wt helios in Colorado lasy month and had a blast I only had one day where I had to fish my 5wt.

Under 300.ish

I don't mind a 5wt, infact prefer it..

i would stick with glass or bamboo,but look for phillipson in either.

Temple Forks makes some good rods for in that price range! To be honest a 5wt is really your best bet!

I've used a 9' 5 weight orvis rocky mountain series rod for all of my west trips. It was fine - even on the biggest rivers like the bighorn, green, and yellowstone.

Looks like Rick has a couple of FE Thomas rods that might fit.

http://www.swiftriverflyfishing.com/cbfr.html

They're an eastern rod but it sounds like they would suit your casting style. Otherwise see what Mike McFarland has.

Good Luck & let us know what you end up with.

For me, I think a 9 ft. 4 wt. is a bit on the light side. I fished the Sierras in July and found for some of the larger rivers, like the Truckee River in CA, for nymphing, it wasn't enough rode. For dry fly fishing, it would be ideal. But if you have to "go under" for any of your fishing in larger rolling rivers in CA or even like the Eagle in CO when it is flowing higher, you will be undermanned by the 4 wt.

Shakey,
Spoken like the true classic angler you are..I hear you..If i had the time I would wait out a Bill phillipson on ebay, or scout around for a wooden rod that's right..Since I'll be traveling with this rod not sure i want to go Cane though..I just want to get a cannon that's decent for sticking fish...Did Phillipson ever make an epoxite, 4 piece, 9 foot?

ConMan wrote:
But if you have to "go under" for any of your fishing in larger rolling rivers in CA or even like the Eagle in CO when it is flowing higher, you will be undermanned by the 4 wt.

Why would you bother fishing underwater?

Stimmie and parachute adams are all you need!

Alpa,

You never threw big buggers on western rivers, apparently. You can keep your stimmies when the log browns are chasing buggers.

I fished them hard for about an hour everyday that I was in Colorado and landed one 15in brown. Adams, Stimmies, bwo,and hoppers all caught fish didn't really matter what bug if you could land it within 3in of the bank it caught fish.

I know what your saying J, I see the articles in the fly fishing mags, and have seen the pictures. I just do matter better with nymphs and dries. Nymphing is boring but damn does it work!

In the week that I was out west 4 of the 5 biggest fish caught were on dries the other was on a zebra midge.

I have friends that fished the Missouri the same week I was in Colorado that boated 15 fish over 22 all on dries.

Everyone is different, I'll catch the ones that wanna eat bugs and I'll gladly let you catch the ones that wanna eat streamers! I'm good like that!!!!

Deal?

You should have gone to the Misouri !!! BTW, I know where you can get a TCX fly rod to make those long casts need on the Misouri. LOL Fish at the 2:00 mark is a SLOB

I'm going to the Mo next year for sure. We already started making plans. I cant wait only like 11 months to go!

sundrunk wrote:
Shakey,
Spoken like the true classic angler you are..I hear you..If i had the time I would wait out a Bill phillipson on ebay, or scout around for a wooden rod that's right..Since I'll be traveling with this rod not sure i want to go Cane though..I just want to get a cannon that's decent for sticking fish...Did Phillipson ever make an epoxite, 4 piece, 9 foot?

the only four piece phillipson i know of is the seven and a half foot spin fly.i guess three piece would be the next most packable.i do not claim to be any expert,i just LOVE phillipson.

here's a link to the fiberglass wiki :http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/Phillipson

i would have trouble deciding between glass and bamboo with phillipson!i can't afford either,haha.(i love them but only have one phillipson rod so far)

Alpabuck wrote:
ConMan wrote:
But if you have to "go under" for any of your fishing in larger rolling rivers in CA or even like the Eagle in CO when it is flowing higher, you will be undermanned by the 4 wt.

Why would you bother fishing underwater?

Stimmie and parachute adams are all you need!

If I was able to be that successful on top, I'd surely do so. I'm just not that successful on top...

Be at the Jam on the Delaware next month and we'll work on it!

Alpa... throwing down the gaunlet to any takers!! Are you willing to put your total fish numbers on drys only against the totals of a nymph only fisher? That would be am interesting little bet. I'm guessing Brandon or Jay will take that action.

Since putting up that video of the Mighty MO, I've begun research. Texted my buddy Josh to tell him to start saving. Next July, I want to give it a go. 34 miles of almost nuttin but dry fly fishing! NICE.

I can't bring myself to competitively fish, but I'd lay money on another nympher.

Numbers wise I would lose......biggest smile and overall enjoyment I'd win hands down.... thats what we're all looking for right?

Back