I'm buying a new rod tomorrow...where?

Mariner

Mariner

I finally got paid for some work I did a while ago and I'm parlaying that $350 or so to a rod, reel, line and case. I need a 2 or 3 wt. in the 7'-8' range for med. small to very small streams in PA like upper Valley, upper Hay, WB Octoraro, etc.

I tried the TFO Pro and Finesse series at the FF expo in NJ last winter and thought I like the slower action of the finesse series.

The TFO rep at the FF show discouraged me to buy from Cabela's after it came up in chit chat and I agreed to his line of reasoning.

So I started calling the local (Philly Area) fly shops after I got this check--nada. Orvis only, Orvis only, Sage & Winston only, Sage & Winston only; Sage, random bamboo, Orvis and Hardy only.

Why in a bad economy would the locals stick to high end only? I've never owned a high-end rod, am I missing that much?

Does anyone know of a local place I could go to try & buy a nice sub-$200 rod in the Philly area?

Unless I hear otherwise I'm heading to Hamburg.

-Mariner

high end price wise doesn't necessarily equate to streamwise-the reason the flyshops push the name makers is they can't begin to compete with the Gander Mountains or BPS in the mid price range and the customers would say``wait a minute hoss" if they saw a $50 or more difference in mid range models-
So value wise it might be a good idea to check out the big stores top end rods.Probably best bang for buck-
For your type fishing-put the money in the rod-skimp on reel if need be.
well that will teach me to skim-Hamburg sounds good.

Don't sell out the local shops. Sometimes you can get high end rods used, and if not used some may fit your price range. You may be surprised. Often times they'll throw in line and you're likely to get a case with the rod.

You could get a Sage Launch, the 376 for around $220 with cash to spend on a reel and line.

Orvis is also having special right now where you buy a rod and get a free reel. Granted, they're higher end rods, but you can get a lot of rod/reel, add a little more to it and have a great setup.

Good advice to drop the money into the rod, go cast a few options.

That Orvis Troutbum is a little out of your price range but I cast one a few weeks back and it's wonderful. If you are looking for a slow rod, this is perfect. Pick up a free reel and you're set.

Jaybo,

I've looked at the Launch, but I'm hoping to get a 3 or 4 piece rod and their shortest is 8.5'

Pete--thanks for the input.

I may go the eBay route, but we'll see.

-Mariner

As for the TFO rods I recently bought one a 7' 9" four weight I like it, it does feel slow but well dampened. If I wasn't hurtin' so bad for a four weight I would have gone with a 3 weight. With this rod I don't feel I need any less. I get enough fight out of an 11-14 in trout to keep me happy.

Cabelas: TFO finesse, RLS large arbor reel, Mastery XPS,.........$279

Bass Pro: TFO finesse, white river reel, Lefty Kreh Floating Line,..........$279

P.S. With the TFO finesse rods I really have to zing it to roll cast a heavy bead head bugger or any more than 35 feet. Normal sized nymphs, no problem roll casting over 40 feet. I like the light feel of the rods though.

I've heard good things about the 7'9" 3 weights. But I wouldn't try castin' any thing approaching critter sized with the three weights.

I've been to Yellow Breeches Outfitters recently and their prices on TFO rods are exactly the same as the big box stores. $179. I might try them out next time.

It is hard to beat the Cabelas combo, with free backing and Mastery WF line.

I bought Rio Grand for my setup, I don't see what the hype is all about. If I could start over I'd have bought the Cabela's combo and saved some bucks.

If you are still looking for the rod, French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville sells some TFO. I don't know if they carry the Finesse series but it's worth a phone call.

Thanks for the French Creek tip. I didn't even know about them (new to state). I wound up losing a bid on eBay for a sweet old Ultrafine, so I never did make to the big C in Hamburg. I'll give them a call.

Mariner - Don't forget to check out the Cabela's Three Forks 7"6" 3pc 3wt. It's a terrific casting rod at any price, and it's dirt cheap. That rod has a cult-like following amongst fly fishermen across the country........

Cabela's Three Forks fly rods

I have been telling people lately to look hard at the Cabelas flyrods. I own 2...an LST and L-tech and they are phenominal for the money. Much nicer than a TFO...just my opinion (I have owned TFO's). For a small stream rod, the lighter LST's or the new TQR would be a killer choice and easily fall into your budget. Nice tube, sock, and warranty to boot!!

Paul W

Again, much thanks for the input. This is becoming quite the endeavour. I called French Creek Outfitters to see if they had the 2 & 3 wt. TFO pro series rods and they said yes. I said I'd be there tomorrow to try them out. I went an hour out of my way to get there after work, got there and they didn't have any 2 or 3 wt. line to let me try out the rods.

The general impression I got from swinging around both of those is that the action is too fast for the up close and personal stuff. Now I'm thinking about the Finesse Series by TFO and the Cabelas TQR in 3wt. I'm really scratching my head b/c I'd like to have this ready to go by the time Coburn comes around.

-Mariner

Mariner,

Attached is a link to a Cabelas rod/reel combo sale. Many Cabelas models mentioned above are listed. Also FYI, Sage Launch does make a 7'6" 3wt. and it is listed as a combo (w/ reel) for $280. Also listed in your price range is TFO, Redington and St. Croix. Don't throw your arm out casting all these rods! You need to save it for the Jam. Good luck.

Cabelas Combos

PaulW wrote:
I have been telling people lately to look hard at the Cabelas flyrods. I own 2...an LST and L-tech and they are phenominal for the money. Much nicer than a TFO...just my opinion (I have owned TFO's). For a small stream rod, the lighter LST's or the new TQR would be a killer choice and easily fall into your budget. Nice tube, sock, and warranty to boot!!

Paul W

I'd have to agree, owning several of each. The Cabelas rods have much better cork in the grips. TFO rods have cork with a lot of checks and voids.

I actually thought about getting a Cabela's PT+ combo for my next rod. I saw they have an 8' 3 weight. It's just that I'm not sure if I want a three weight or a five weight as my next rod. Does anyone have a Cabela's PT rod, and if they do what could you say about it. I held one in Hamburg and liked it.

I read a review that was linked on the site back when I was looking for a rod, (Five weight Shootout). The TFO Finesse series in the tests got a great review for it's price. But the author also notes that it outperforms the much more expensive TFO in the test.

I have the regular old PT in 6' 4 wt. but it was discontinued. Someone was selling one on this site a while back and it got snatched up.

My two trout rods are a 9' 6wt. GL3 GLoomis and the above rod. I need one with length to mend, delicacy and slow action, and packability in 3-4 pieces. It is in part to celebrate my survival of one year out of Colorado, part legitimate desire to fill a hole in my fishing tool collection. Thus my dilemma.

Apologies for the use of the word "tomorrow" in this thread--I'm sounding like I'm a real procrastinator but I just don't have the coin to buy the wrong rod. I'm pretty set on a sweet Vosseler reel, though.

A 7'6" 3wt?

I'd like to second the suggestion of the $49 Cabela's Three Forks. Check out google's Usenet archives (a "groups" search), you'll be surprised to find out how many people swear by it.

At $49, you've got enough scratch to get your 3 and a TFO 5wt.

I found the TFO Series 1 fit my casting style the best out of all the 4wts I tried. I did buy it and use it for a week, before I took it back and bought an 8' Versitex 4wt from a local shop instead.

Purchase made--TFO Finesse 7'9" 3wt. / Vosseler RC1 reel / Sci. Angler mastery DT3. Great Bay's 7' fibreglass was a close second. Should be here in time for Jam time. Much thanks for the advice.

-Mariner

You'll have to let me know how you like your 7'9" 3 weight. I have the same, just one weight up.

Back