Homemade lanyard

tocar

tocar

Here's a few pics of a lanyard I made. The cord is pvc coated steel wire from Home Depot (thanks to HA for pointing me in that direction). Finding tubular foam for a neck guard in a small size was fuitless so I decided on tubing (from the aquarium dept at the local pet shop). Using crimp-on jewlery wire ends with loops, I connected the ends of the cord with a short piece of fly line. This allowed me to adjust the length to my liking. Beads are from the local hobby shop, as well as the badge clip (clip it to your shirt to keep the lanyard from falling forward when you bend over). Crosslock swivels were found in my old tackle box. Click image to enlarge.

peace-tony c.

Oops! Just realized I posted in wrong form. Should be in gear. Mods please move. Thanks.

I used regular 10g speaker wire for the whole thing. Around the back of my neck, its doubled up and knotted over itself a few times. Around the whole bundle went heat shrink wire wrapping to open it up a little bit.

Looks like the heavy wire will force the loop to stay open a bit. Good idea.

Very nice!

Hi Tony - Looks good!

You can use archery nocks to clamp around the wire - keeps the beads and stuff from sliding.

I'm getting closer to finding that foam stuff - look on ebay for "pencil foam". Now if I could just find black.....

I also overlap about 4" of the wire and cover that with heat shrink tubing. It acts as a "safety" that would come apart if I somehow got hung up.

H.A.

Check with a local plumbing/HVAC supply shop for the foam. I know they make black foam insulation jackets for 1/4 inch water lines like those that feed water/ice dispensers on your fridge.

Very nice lanyard. How did the cost of materials compare to purchasing one?

Breakdown of cost:

wire- 3'@.31/foot= 1.00
beads, badge clip, connectors (50 percent off sale)= 5.00
swivels (found in old tackle box) = free (or

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Hi Tony - Looks good!

You can use archery nocks to clamp around the wire - keeps the beads and stuff from sliding.

Planning on doing that after I make sure I like the layout.

peace-tony c.

Back