Help with waders

StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

Anyone use the Frogg togg pilot II breathable waders? I can get them for about 40% off but not if they'll tear after a weeks use.
My other options were cabelas guide that were $199, and a pair of the same price from LL Bean. I've only ever owned F&S waders, only had one decent pair, and theyre customer service stunk.
Im not looking to spend over 200 for a pair that'll last me through the summer.

I've had frog toggs, but not that model.

My findings on waders says longevity is remarkably correlated with price. Meaning spend twice as much and they'll last twice as long. Haven't found a way to win the price per hour game.

So long as you stay within the breathable world, comfort tends to be equal, if not a little better with cheaper ones, on account of being thinner.

I went super expensive currently, but if they don't beat the cost curve I'll be going back to cheapies next.

Gotcha Pcray, I know that that is the case, like most things in this sport.

I start a new job in the fall, and I'll be able to spend a little more then. Im hopin to go with Simms, but right now cant justify $600

Guys I know that have frog toggs (not sure on the model) seem to like them. But, I will say that they don't spend a ton of time on the water either. I do have to agree with pray to a certain extent. I currently have a pair of Simms G3 waders and guide boots that are over 4 years old and are holding up great. Before I had my Simms, I had a pair of Orvis (don't remember the model) that were almost 400 bucks and got a little over a year out of them. With that being said, would I spend the money on the Simms again? You bet your a$$ I would! Would I spend that money on Orvis waders? Probably not. If you can hold out and save the money for a pair of Simms I would go that route if you spend a reasonable amount of time in them.

I can't comment on the other two, but I, and others I fish with, have not been getting more than a year out of the Cabelas waders. That is not worth the price to me.

I had a pair of Frogg Toggs that lasted only about 4 months. Not sure of the model though. Like PCray, I've found that cost tends to go hand in hand with longevity. My next set was a pair of waist high Cabelas guides and they were actually pretty decent. They lasted well over a year until the bootie started leaking. Cabelas replaced them even though the warranty was only for a year at not charge. Kept them as my backups now for when my Orvis SilverSonics spring a leak. Most manufactures are pretty good about warranties.

If you don't want to spend over 200 I am pretty sure you get get the Redington Sonics non zipper for under 200. I really like mine so far.

My experience has shown the Chinese made frog toggs suck I'm on my third pair within 2 years. Though I haven't paid for the last two I previously had the cheapest pair of orvis for over 3 years.

The bait boys that i have fished with always buy a new pair of waders each year and yes they are frog toggs. Not sure why the crap they do that but take it that they spent over 600 dollars and i spent 400 and have had the same pair of simms waders( rivershed guide) and have one leak that was repairable in the past 4 years is awesome. I have heard good reviews on cabelas jean waders. But what are you using them for?deep water or smaller streams hippies would do. If hippies chota makes an awesome pair for a great price

I never understood those who say getting a year out of 100 dollar waders isn't worth it, but getting 5 years out of a 500 dollar pair is. That's just the EXACT same to me. And given that choice I'll take the cheap ones. Thinner and more comfortable, and that barbed wire fence that would kill any waders doesn't leave you crying.

Simms products rock! Overall cost is higher but they lady longer so cost per year is lower than the other junk!

I had Frogg Toggs breathable waders, they lasted about 1 season, but I beat the heck out of them. I got a pair of Simms for under $200, look around for a good deal, you might get lucky like I did.

We'll see on the cost per hour being lower. It wasn't for boots. I'd have been better off with 3-4 pairs of cheap boots.

But I have a while on waders before I find out.

I have simms g4s and I just bought a pair of g3s. I got 3 yrs out of the g4s and there were some pinhole leaks and the seam tape was coming off of the neoprene gravel guards. I bought the g3s, then sent the g4s back to simms.

When I got the G4s back (I paid 80 including shipping I think), they fixed a bunch of pinhole leaks, (and fixed the poor aquaseal repairs I made on my own) and put on new neoprene feet and gravel guards. I probably could have got another year out of the G4s without the repair, with the repairs I'd guess I'll get at least two more years. I was surprised with the (high) quality of the repairs from Simms, the waders were pretty worn and I wasn't sure it was even worth it to make repairs. I definitely didn't expect the waders to come back with new feet and gravel guards (they didn't leak before, they just looked beat up).

With Simms, you can send them back for free (I think) after the first year and they will inspect and repair them, so I'll use the g3s as much as I can for a year and send them to Montana.

I'm not sure how many other wader companies actually make repairs. I'd agree with pcray that there is a correlation between cost and longevity, but with the repair service Simms offers, you may be able to eek out a little more value than with cheaper ones.

Also, the Simms waders are way more comfortable than the other breathable waders I've owned (Orvis Clearwater, Orvis Tailwater

i went with the frogg toggs, they had the most features at the cheapest price. if they last 8 months ill be happy

I have a pair of the frogg toggs pilot 2's. I'm on my third set. First two sprung massive leaks and they sent out replacement. They have pretty good customer service in that respect.

I have three tubes of aquaseal that say my 100 dollar waders will last as long as anyones 500 dollar waders. Thats how I look at it.

Ok. 1/2 year and a grand total of 6 outings! Thats how long it took my G3's to first leak!

Small leak somewhere around right knee. No seam, so likely repairable. I'll turn em inside out and get out the rubbing alcohol and aquaseal this weekend. But certainly not a good start!

I like the way summersetian thinks. Even though I'm shopping for waders and am leaning to Simms or LL Beans...

pcray1231 wrote:
Ok. 1/2 year and a grand total of 6 outings! Thats how long it took my G3's to first leak!

Small leak somewhere around right knee. No seam, so likely repairable. I'll turn em inside out and get out the rubbing alcohol and aquaseal this weekend. But certainly not a good start!

That's not reassuring news for me to read. Hopefully you get them fixed.

Back