Grip studs review

3sip

3sip

I don't know if this has been posted before but I thought it was good information.

https://troutbitten.com/2018/09/09/gear-review-grip-studs-are-the-real-deal/

I'm a fan of the's what is in my se. I think that's what's in my LL Bean boots with Aquastealth soles.

I'm going to tempt fate and say it: I have yet to fall in over 6 years of fairly heavy use in a wide variety of streams from Penns to the Lehigh to hike-in brookie fishing.

Disclosure: boots replaced free after year 2 due to uppers tearing.

IF I was ever going to try screw in style studs again (I have no plans of ever doing it again though) these Grip Studs is what I would try. Normal screw in style studs just can't handle the torque no matter the boot or stud brand.

bigjohn58 wrote:
IF I was ever going to try screw in style studs again (I have no plans of ever doing it again though) these Grip Studs is what I would try. Normal screw in style studs just can't handle the torque no matter the boot or stud brand.

bigjohn:

What are you using in lieu of studs?

I've never used studs before, but after some falls in recent trips and subsequent lingering knee problems I am reconsidering.
For those who don't or won't use them... Other than studs potentially falling out, are there other significant concerns?
And for those that do... How many are you typically putting into each sole?

sgrim wrote:
I've never used studs before, but after some falls in recent trips and subsequent lingering knee problems I am reconsidering.
For those who don't or won't use them... Other than studs potentially falling out, are there other significant concerns?
And for those that do... How many are you typically putting into each sole?

I end up with somewhere between six and eight in each boot. I use a combination of Simms Hardbite and Alumibite in each boot. I actually prefer the aluminum ones as I find they are less slick on rocks that are out of the water. They do, however, wear down rather quickly.

My boots may look like overkill but after suffering a torn quad on a fall while fishing...I like to at least feel safe.

I have been using Grip Studs for almost 10 years and can attest to how well they hold in just about any material.

I even installed a few in a pair of Muck Chore Boots I use when fishing places where I don't normally wade more than a few inches into the water.

What make them so great however is the different stud options versus the one-type fits all approach of most other studs out there.

For the best traction with carbide studs, you want a maximum of sole contact and a minimum of stud contact. If carbide studs protrude too far, you will slip on hard rocks like you are on ice skates. The different sized stud option with Grip Studs allows you to choose the perfect stud for your sole.

Another thing is they are a GREAT replacement if you totally bugger up the hole on a wading shoe with a regular stud.

I have used just about every stud out there and they all have their good & bad points but if you want something that stays put, Grip Studs are it.

Grip Studs look to be at least 2x more expensive than other options.
Are they that much better than say, tire screws, or aluminum studs?

sgrim wrote:
Grip Studs look to be at least 2x more expensive than other options.
Are they that much better than say, tire screws, or aluminum studs?
I mostly use Chota STL shoes which will readily accept any stud out there and I have tried them all.

Ice screws used for tires used in ice racing or the Chota STL studs are REALLY sharp, really cheap, grip like crazy and are made of hardened steel however, they wear out quickly and when worn out they suck but if you are willing to change them after almost every fishing trip, nothing grips better when they are NEW.

BTW – They are SO sharp when new if you step on your fly line you will end up with TWO fly lines…

…trust me I know from experience.

Other downsides are they only come in one option that looks VERY much like a regular hex head sheet metal screw so they can protrude too far beyond the sole depending on the sole type & design. They also have a regular sheet metal thread so they don’t hold as well, especially in holes that accepted studs a few times, in felt or if you over torque them.

Hardware store hex head sheet metal screws are similar in design; they are cheap but are not made of hardened steel and are nowhere near as sharp as the Chota STL or ice screws. Bottom line, while they are cheap they wear out even faster and don’t grip as well so expect to change them more often than ice screws for maximum grip.

Grip Studs, the Orvis Posigrip, L.L. Bean Maxi Grip, Chota Long Rifle and Simms Hard Bite are all carbide studs which won’t dull AS fast but definitely don’t grip as well except when they are brand new. However to be honest only the Orvis Posigrip and the Chota Long Rife really have any bite that compares to a New Chota STL or ice screw.

One downside to all of these carbide studs EXCEPT the Grip Stud is they only come in one option that looks like a regular hex head sheet metal screw with a regular sheet metal screw thread. This causes the same issues with loosening and protrusion ALTHOUGH the L.L. Bean Maxi Grip have a considerably smaller head.

BTW – The L.L. Bean Maxi Grip is what they use on their wading shoes.

Another downside to carbide is very hard rocks. If carbide studs protrude too far beyond the rubber or felt sole so only the carbide is making contact with the rocks, you WILL slide on a hard smooth rock. When I fish places like that, I temporarily replace my carbide studs for brand new Chota STL or ice screws.

I have also tried aluminum bars and even aluminum sheet metal screws at those places but I still like NEW ice or STL studs better. Some of the aluminum disc options like the Korkers Triple Threat Aluminum Hex disks look interesting, but I might try plain aluminum washers first. I just don’t know how comfortable they will be to walk or hike in.

The problem with regular screw studs is unless you are wearing a shoe that is made to accept them like the Chota or Simms, expect lackluster results in regards to staying put or achieving the ideal sole to stud contact ratio.

This is why Grip Studs excel. They have so many different option that you should be able to find the perfect stud for any shoe AND the thread is totally different and when installed properly won’t come out like a sheet metal screw can.

No one stud is perfect for all shoes or all places. To be be honest; studs aren’t perfect for all places.

Bottom line the choice is yours ‘cause it’s your money and your arse if you fall.

Great response. Thank you!

Tiogadog wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

bigjohn:

What are you using in lieu of studs?

Korkers with interchangeable soles...I have the Wraptrs and honestly they are the best boot I have ever worn. Also the easiest of all companies I ever had to deal with a warranty issue too!

Back